Ski stopping

Justin_C

• Baller

I'm noticing as I'm into 28 off that on both sides of the course, when I finish the turn, my ski feels like it's stopping. Sometimes it will pop me right up and other times I want to break at the waist. It makes it feel as though my turn and then the subsequent pull are two separate things instead of the turn smoothly leading into my pull, then edge change and so on. I'll post some video as soon as I can but even when I focus on staying countered, head up, etc, it still seems to be happening. This is all combined with my perpetual ski bouncing on the finish of my offside turn. Thinking about moving my bindings back a touch. Any thought or suggestions? Will post my fin numbers when I get home from work and can check my notes. Ski is a 2016 66" Lithium Vapor.

• Baller
@UCFskier New last year. It's been working well to the point that I'm at now. Meaning last year I ran my first 15 off at 36, then my first 22 at 36. This year my 22's have been relatively easy and I'm working on 28. This is the first time this issue has come up. The stopping is not happening at 15 and 22 off but the bouncing happens all the time . Likely technique related but I wondered if any adjustments could be made to make life easier as I work on technique.

• Baller

@Justin_C I tend to believe if a ski is working well at the easier passes it is likely body position causing the issues at the later passes... if the ski is bouncing in the turn try holding on two hands a little longer into the edge change and deceleration phase. as well keep the hips moving forward into the turn... many times we come off the handle too quick and drop the hips as a means to slow down the ski.... this results in the ski coming to an abrupt stop...

hope this makes sense?

• Baller

Without video it is hard to fully diagnose. If it is working at 15 and 22 I am not sure it is a fin/boot issue.

This sounds kind of counter but I have seen sometimes at the shorter line lengths people stop working sooner because they feel more speed. This actually results in letting up and being slow in the turn.

Video would definitely help diagnose.

• Baller
@Justin_C wow I am glad you posted this. I am fighting something extremely similar to this. I run my 15 and 22 rather well. I am going to say 99% of the time. Once I cut the rope to 28, I completely fall apart on my onside turns. I was getting more consistent for the last month, probably getting to run it 50% of the time. Within the last week, I have fallen at 2 ball 95% of the time. I am creating more space than I ever have at 28, but doing worse through the course. I feel great coming into the ball and am excited to make a nice turn and then in the last 10% of the turn, its like I just fall over. My brother and I ski by ourselves and really don't know of any other great skiers/coaches in the local area, and we have never really messed with our fins before. I am rather excited to see what kind of input others have to say on this discussion for you. I have no clue where to begin and what kind of different feelings to expect. As this is only my 2nd summer in the course, I honestly don't know if I am physically making a change in my technique or if my ski is doing the work.

• Baller

My numbers are as follows:

In my notes I have that I went to the following to try and get rid of the bounce but it actually made it so bad it was unskiable.

• Baller
I'm thinking it's more of a technique related problem rather than finsetup. I was having similar issues last year and I think it was caused by me letting the handle go too soon and poor handle connection coming off the edge change into the pre turn. 28 is when handle control starts getting more important and 32 it's crucial.

• Baller

Here's the video. I see a couple things I'm doing but please give as much input as you like! (First pass at ball 3 is a very visible example of the ski stopping on me, however, it looks like the ski is hardly ever actually finishing the turn before I get popped up. Grabbing the handle too soon?)

• Baller
I usually hesitate to give advice on this forum since there are those that are clearly more qualified than I, but I see something done often by myself. It looks to me like you're dropping your inside shoulder into the turn, causing your upper body to dump in, causing the ski to stop. This may be caused by something earlier in the process (too much speed coming into the ball, handle separation, etc), but when I do it, my best coach in the boat (my son) just tells me to exaggerate keeping my reaching arm up. I mean really up. Doing this helps keep my shoulders more level, smooths out my turn, and helps transition from the turn to the pull more smoothly.

• Baller

You may be pulling too long after center. If you edge change sooner you should be able to scrub off more speed and turn down on the ball rather than your turn happening further and further past (down course) the ball.

Also I think it looks like the handle become disconnected too soon, if you keep it close to your COM (center of mass) during edge change and preturn loading with your leading (outer) hand you will get your width quicker making you earlier at the ball.

• Baller

Great skiing - you're obviously doing a lot of things right. @PacMan nailed it: your arms are straight out as you come off the second wake and head out to the buoy. Try pinning your elbows to your vest as you make your edge change and keep them there all the way out to the buoy line. This will also help you avoid pulling too long because it really helps initiate your edge change. For me, it keeps me from reaching too soon as well. @PacMan referred to this as becoming "disconnected too soon", and I think he's absolutely correct that "28 is when handle control starts getting more important and 32 it's crucial."