Are you good enough to pick a letter or number change?

ozski

• Baller
I was thinking about this subject the other day and I'm not that sure I can confidently pick a change in ZO settings with any repeatable accuracy. I might be able to but I would not be the house on it. Would be interesting to test a few skiers and see what the results revealed.

• Administrators

It would require the same boat and the same driver that each skier was used to. Sometimes I get a different driver at my lake and my boat feels way different. I would say driving is more variable for most skiers than ZO.

With my normal driver I think I could get the letters if they all used 2 but I never mess with the numbers so I would have no chance with 1s and 3s.

• Baller_

Just another reason that Zero Off sucks.

Get rid of all settings and give us the same pull feel on every boat. Charge me extra for the better system if you need to. An extra 1000 on a 60k ski boat is not an issue

• Baller
@MS, maybe I don't know better, but having just upgraded from a 2003 Response to a 2017 Nautique with Zero Off, I think Zero Off is wonderful. It is super easy to drive and the letters and numbers let people tweak the response to fit their personal preferences. I have trouble saying that any company that invests into our sport and makes it better/easier "sucks".

• Baller_
@Than_Bogan I did just that. Same boat same driver (he chose settings). I told him what I felt, good and bad. He documented it with setting choice and after a week of skiing I could easily choose a setting best for me seeing the results. But that's with my driver, my lake and the same ZO boat. Still very much enlightening. Some settings I just looked at my driver and said it was so bad it just about killed me. A couple others I did a second blind test to decipher which was the best. In my opinion, it is the best way to find your setting as there is no preconceived notion of what the boats gonna be doing. I think we spend to much time and energy trying to plug in the factors of our own skiing style with what the ZO setting is supposed to do. Or worse, take someone else's idea of a good setting and just go with that. Blind testing is the only way to really know

• Members

@Than_Bogan and @Wish

I did the same blind test a few years ago. Driver and observer picked the settings at random and I did two passes, 32-35, then changed setting and did another 32-35. Problem was it takes 18 passes to do that and fatigue sets in. If I had to do it again (and may do so once my ribs heal), I’d do the same thing changing letters only but just leave the number at 2. 6 passes, 32-35. Or maybe 9 passes 32-35-38.

After I decide what letter I like, do it again with the letter locked in and 9 passes changing 1-2-3.

But, that’s a lot of work. I’ll probably just stay at the same C2 I’ve used for 10 years and not bother.

• Baller

@wish did you ski a full set on the settings or just a pass?

I don’t have enough ZO time. When I get behind ZO I keep the same setting. I didn’t even pick my own setting I had a coach tell me what to use.