Which Ski For Freeskiing

Woody74

• Baller

I am getting back into skiing after several years (15+). My last serious slalom ski was a Kidder Redline with tournament highwrap bindings (90's). I was curious if anyone has put some time in on the new HO Omni series skis, either the Syndicate Omni or Carbon Omni? I have read a couple good reviews but nothing from non industry people yet. How do they perform? For aggressive free skiing and occasional course skiing are they better than the Evo and Freeride from HO?

I suspect I am in for a huge technological flood similar to what I experienced when I got back into downhill skiing 10 years ago after a long break from that as well (straight skies to shape skis, etc).

Thanks for any info as I try to get back up to speed after all these years!!

• Baller

Hey @Woody74 !

It seems to me that either of the Omni constructions you mentioned will serve you well. The ski turns really well and holds even when conditions are not prime, particularly on onside turns. How fast are you planning on going with the boat? Up unti 34mph, these skis are rock solid! And, if you are planning on taking a few pokes at the slalom course, they will both serve you well. In my opinion, the main difference with the Syndicate Omni is whether you are planning on eventually skiing the course. The Syndicate construction makes it for quicker turns and a more reactive ski off the ball. If, on the other hand, you plan on slaying open water, the Carbon Omni will be plenty :)

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller
@Luzz , thanks for the response! That is very helpful info. For boat speed I ski at 32mph and may go up to 34mph but imagine that would be about as high as I go. A good friend has a course at his house and I do plan to run through that once I get my feet back under me and back into ski shape. Are there any other skis I should consider?

• Baller
@Lobonator , My family and I are currently looking at a Prostar 209. When skiing behind my friend's boat it will be a Prostar 197. We are also keeping an eye open for late mdel 205's that are in good shape as well but my wife likes the room of the 209.

• Baller
If you are going to max out at 34 mph and just ski the course occasionally I think the Omni would be a great ski. I posted a video in another thread of Marcus Brown running 34mph 28 off on the Omni and the ski looked to perform great (of course most skis would for him). I would love to get a rip on one.

• Baller

@Woody74 I have an Omni Syndicate - really enjoying it!

Essentially similar situation, I have access to two different lakes, on one I keep my prostar 190, we have a course on the lake but it is in an area that gets blown out and heavy boat traffic after about 9 AM most days. I also have access to a course on a lake but behind a Moomba V-Drive - which leaves things to be desired. This meant that I was using my 66" D3 early in the AM in the course but then when we went to the V-Drive I just can't run my normal speeds and passes, So I picked up a syndicate Omni - and I've started trying actively to run slow, now when the course is choppy it is still fun to hit it at 26 mph and I can cut the speed behind the v-drive to about 28 or 30 and not get destroyed.

• Baller
I have not tried it, but my brother just loved an Omni he tried. He liked my D3 ARC too, but the Omni was an easier ski for him. Reading your description of use, and considering what my brother said, I think I would try both the Carbon and the Syndicate, and lean toward the Syndicate, especially since you say you would like to try getting into the course again at some point.

• Baller

@BraceMaker , this is great info as well. Thanks! I am liking the sound of the HO Omni's versatility more and more.

My follow up question is do people prefer the Animal high wrap boot or the Xmax boot. I came from a Kidder double high wrap that was tight! It worked great though. I really know nothing of the new styles of boots though and am not likely to try the Syndicate hardshell just yet.

@sunvalleylaw , thank you as well for the reply. At this point I am also leaning towards the Syndicate over the carbon omni for that very reason.

• Baller
Hey @Woody74 We are probably a bit biased, but we discussed with Seth Stisher and Joel Howley and they both highly recommend our Carbon V or the V. Check out this article on the Carbon V. It would be a perfect fit for you. Hit us up if you want to get your hands on one. We'd love to help you out! https://www.ballofspray.com/home-page/news/2961-accomplish-big-goals-with-less-effort-say-hello-to-the-connelly-carbon-v

@Woody74 I think a senate or an omni would be awesome. If you can wait a little longer, I believe the 2019 senate will be using the 2018 vapor shape, but a tiny bit wider. I just bought a 2018 Vapor, and still ski mostly open water, but absolutely love it. I can only imagine that the 2019 Senate will be the ultimate open water weapon.

@Woody74, I just purchased a Radar Senate Alloy 67 and find it perfect for free skiing. I came off of an older KD 6500 that kicked my @$$ each time on the water - I was exhausted early and my second wake balance was always not "good"...the Senate is more forgiving as I'm still working on my body position through the second wake - there were a few times where I could feel the forgiveness of the ski actually help me - I would have fallen on the old ski. I'm not a competitive skier but I am very aggressive and I can honestly say that I can ski for miles on the Senate Alloy (and I have) whereas I could only go for a few burst on the older KD 6500. BTW, Lake Grapevine is typically very rough so and this ski does really well in open, rough water. Obviously, the rough water hinders performance but the ski does very well in any condition.

• Baller
There are lots of good skis in that category. The Omni, Senate and V all would work well for what you are looking to do. If you have a chance to try them do that but if you can’t pick one call Performance and have fun on it.

• Baller
I have the Carbon Omni. Now, I'm not experienced and it's possible that the Senate and V lines are just as good. With that disclaimer out of the way... I love the Omni. Last year I was trying to get through the course for the first time and couldn't get more than 4 buoys. This year on the Omni I got a complete pass in my third set of the year. The ski is super stable from 28 to 34 mph and I really like how it takes small chop, which I have a lot of experience with having only skied on public water. You can't go wrong with the Omni line. If you expect to get into the 34 mph rang then go Syndicate.

• Baller
@Connelly_Skis_Inc , nothing wrong with being a bit bias! Thank you for the recommendation on the Carbon V and V. I have started reading some reviews and the skis sound excellent. A good friend is skiing a new Connelly and I am reaching out to him now to ask what model he has as I know he really likes his ski!

• Baller
@Tbone71857 , I can relate to the KD you had as my last ski from back in the day was a Kidder Redline and also a very aggressive ski that took a lot of work. At the time I was in my early 20's and didn't notice as much. I like that the new crossover skis handle less than perfect water well!

@Woody74 , I just got my Carbon Omni a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I, like you, are just getting back into waterskiing after a few years.

I ride on a public lake and haven't worked my way up to a course yet, but I'd like to in the future. I ski at 15 off and 34mph. The ski is firm enough to give me the performance and growing room for when my skills develop, but it's still a great freeride ski. Hope this helps!

• Baller
Hi Woody, I see you mention the HO Freeride in your first post. I was out of skiing for years, and bought one when I got back into it. I only free ski on public water. It was great for getting the feel for skiing again, but it is not good for aggressive free skiing. After a couple years I bought the HO TX, and now I only use the Freeride the first ski of the year or so. Doesn't sound like you're going towards the Freeride anyway, but just wanted to give you a perspective from someone who was in a situation like yours.