Goode 9970 Feedback

supersonicus

I think all of the companies push the limits with layup/cores/bevels and rockers to increase performance. The same ski shape with different cores and different layups always ski different. Sometimes better sometimes not. It’s called having a choice. To spend or not to spend. I’m glad all of the companies keep pushing to make a better ski.

• Baller
@Chad_Scott I really didn't intend to demean Goode. It's just that more so than any company Dave always seems to announce a new ski at Nationals. Hey, he's the Nationals sponsor, so good for that. I'm all for ski development. It was meant to elicit a small chuckle, a bit of humor.

• Baller

@LeonL I used to work in the snow ski industry and they introduced new skis every year as well. Apple introduces new phones, watches & computers every year. That is the way of technology innovate or die. For most of us mortals the next years ski won't result in you making a new full pass but it is fun to try new stuff. In general the slalom water ski market is an affluent market place where people have disposable income to buy a new ski every year.

If Goode didn't introduce a new ski every year at Nationals (at least this year I know Radar and Connelly are doing the same) customers would look at the shiny new thing from someone else.

• Baller
@Than_Bogan you're one model behind. The 9970 is intended to be 36 mph ski. The new ski to be introduced at Nationals is called the Revolution. I wasn't told not to speak of it. Ok, I stand chastised for singling out Goode for announcing new products at Nationals and seek forgiveness.

• Baller
Seems like Goode takes quite a hit around here. He builds a solid preforming product, sponsors the sport pretty heavily. Lets face it he wants to sell skis same with the rest of the manufactures. Everyone here seems pretty giddy when Radar or HO turns out new product each year. Would love to hear more about Goodes new stuff,but here its mostly crickets. I don't get it.

• Baller
Whether it’s marketing or innovation, you HAVE to come out with a “new” ski to make any sales in the high end slalom ski business. I don’t know if it’s always been this way but as long as I’ve been around the business (11 years), the next big thing is what sells. A ski that’s been out for a year just doesn’t move anymore, no matter how good it is. I wish it weren’t the case, but that’s the way it is.

• Baller_

@AdamCord I think that is why some companies turn out a ski that's kind of a dud every once in a while. I've seen skiers completely skip a season on the new ski and go back to prev years ski because the old one is just better. I agree, if it ain't broke......

Not complaining as it's fun to see the hype and what's new and that's with any product.

Wonder how much more hype there would be if a company waited longer to perfect something but teased the design efforts along the way..like a sequel to a movie.

• Baller

The problem is it is a limited market and if you don't introduce a new ski there is no reason for folks to buy one. Many skiers are brand loyal and ski will last 2-3 years for most people that don't ski year round so without the hype of a new model there is no new business.

I think @Wish may be right that it may result in an occasional dud as the companies rush to get something out by Nationals each year.

• Supporting Member

@skiboyny I wouldn't read too much into it. Goodes are extremely popular with this crowd. Among top 34 mph skiers, Goode is hugely dominant.

It's just always fun to poke the top dog and kinda root against them. Remember a few months ago when I said it's fun to watch Nick Saban lose (in college football)? Heck, I even find myself rooting against Nate Smith, even though he's the nicest guy ever, just because of human instinct to want to see the top guy beaten.

• Baller

@Wish that's true, a better ski would probably be made by waiting longer. But then the ski company is losing money while that R&D is happening.

That being said, I think most ski companies do this anyway. They may come out with a "new" model every year, but most aren't cutting a new mold every year.

• Baller

@scotchipman - I'm guilty of that Bias - ever since what I consider to be a very expensive waterski bubble and crack in the summer sun of Northern Michigan (Almost to the UP even) I haven't even considered them.

And yes that's probably atleast 15 years ago - but I was offered the standard upgrade discount of something like 100 bucks towards a new ski and went right to D3 instead. Which that D3 still sees the lake occasionally!

In ways I think they've always positioned themselves as a very premium product offering and that's universal across their line. They don't bother with "entry level" skis and they don't bother with skis you're going to buy at the local proshop. And I do think along with that my experience was they weren't very accommodating at the customer service level, which is again grain of salt as they were very forthcoming with stating that you shouldn't leave a ski in the sun... of course every ski I've ever owned before/after sits in the same sun successfully but who's counting.

• Baller

I just spent 3 days in Ogden with Dave and co. It was great to see. Dave is super passionate and works so hard to find the next step or opportunity to improve. Sometimes it’s incremental, sometimes more.

I rode a few new skis (wait for Nats) but not the 9970. I did discuss it with him and it sounds like it’s primariely the tried and true “traditional shape” with the latest materials and construction. He believes it will work great at 36mph but admits some 34mph skiers like it as well.

As @Chad_Scott says, options are a good thing. If I ride a 9970 I will report back.

• Baller

I read the comment about "every ski I own/owned sits in the sun..." yesterday and started to reply. Got busy and didn't. Thought about it on the dock again this afternoon reminding my daughter to move her ski out of the sun and decided to come back and finish it.

I can't see not wanting to care for an investment of up to $2,000 plus bindings. Even if you aren't concerned from the standpoint of it totally falling apart, most of us spend an untold amount of time and money chasing buoys. If there is any chance that my ski getting up to 140-150 deg sitting in the sun will hurt my buoy count I'm bagging it and putting in the shade!

This may just be a personal/anal thing for me, but I've been on/off Goode skis since '96 and never had an issue...

• Baller
@MrJones thats the thing it was stood up on the deck and sun shifted onto it for a bit. I cover them mostly when I can be it bags or towels and dont leave them laying on the dock or in the sun but this wasnt consistent neglect or days of laying out accumulating damage it was a single afternoon when the sun got on in for an hour or so and came back to it looking like bubble wrap. The line if skis next to it all perfect.

• Baller

Airplane fuselages and other parts are made of some of the same materials, and guess were they sit all day.

Just the same, as @MrJones stated, why not protect such an investment. Just don't need to be OCD about it.

• Baller

You can’t compare a composite aircraft to a composite water ski. The resins used are completely different. An aircraft is cured at extremely high temperatures and is designed to work in those conditions. Also the paint blocks the UVs that will break down epoxy.

Most water skis are cured at 200F or less, and the cores used will start to melt at temps not much higher than that. Leaving your ski in the sun for extended periods WILL damage the ski.