Help choosing a ski for my ski level

skigirl00

• Members

I’m looking into purchasing a new ski soon and need help finding one for my skill level. I currently slalom ski on open water on a lake more often than i do a course... but I am hoping to join the water ski club in college to ski a course majority of the time. What are some good slalom skis to look for?

I have looked at the HO Syndicate and the HO CX. Any suggestions?

@skigirl00 Ya know I'm really not sure. I'd try and demo both of them if you can somewhere. I typically do that but took a chance on the Omni. I've gone from the A1, to the S2, to the Omni so I wanted to stick with Syndicate type skis. The nice thing I like about the Omni is it's slightly wider all throughout so it's very stable. You can ski it at slower speed too and not have tremendous drag. As advertised they say you can run more passes and not feel as tired and that's very true.

• Members
@kylegansel Thank you again! I have a 65" 2018 Connelly Concept Impulse Series that I got last year and need a major upgrade. I have ridden a 2016 Syndicate and fell in love with it; I tested it on open water, not a course. The Carbon Omni is intriguing, but I'm thinking I may need a more challenging ski.

@skigirl00 Wow, my 2nd slalom ski back in 1998 was a Concept. Heavy old sob which in fact someone on the lake still has it. I'm not sure what the current concept is like. The Syndicate Omni is the lightest of the three they sell. If the current 2018 concept is heavier you might be ok with the Carbon Omni. I just had the pleasure of speaking with HO Customer Service a few days ago and they could not have been more helpful. Give them a call and they can probably help you pick the correct ski.

• Baller

@skigirl00 I haven't skied the Omni. I think @scotchipman did ski the Omni at 34 mph in the course. I would think as you develop your course skis the Omni will be great and more forgiving than a Syndicate.

I have been skiing a Radar Katana this year at 30 mph and up to 28 off in the course and the Omni based on its shape will be a much more aggressive ski than the Katana.

• Members

@scotchipman Awesome advice. When you say a little heavier, is it still on the lighter side? I do not know much about the Senate, but many peeps have been recommending it. I am pretty solid at getting up, so I am not too concerned about not being able to.

I'm sorry to hear about your Omni Syndicate. That really stinks.

• Baller
@skigirl00 I think lighter can be thrown around more easily. I remember going to my Goode 9200 and thinking I could really throw it outbound. But then again it also was a ski that didn't perform nearly as well on chop as the D3 I went to that was atleast a bit heavier. Would be skier weight does a lot too. I had the 9200 when I was about 150 Id think maybe lighter folk could benefit with keeping weight in check

@skigirl00 I got a Carbon Omni this year and I love it. I would say I'm in a similar boat as you. I mostly open water ski and rarely hit the course. The ski is really stable, lightweight, and the carbon makes it stiff enough to handle the course pretty comfortably and accelerates great. Also, if you haven't already, read @Horton review of the Syndicate Omni if you want a ski that's geared a little more towards the course and you can afford the higher price point.

• Baller
@Bill22 for the uninitiated - how much difference will there be between a Graphite Senate lay up and a Graphite Lyric lay up? IE. are they just the same ski with a different name or will the Graphite Lyric be softer flex obviously just comparing 65 - because there is a 63 lyric.

• Baller
I'm a beginner to the course, free skied for years then tried a course last year and got the bug. Got a Carbon Omni this spring and have really liked the ski. I completed my first pass at 15' off 30 mph in just a couple sets and now make maybe 75% of my attempts. It's also great for a fun ride out in the open water. You should take a serious look at the Women's Carbon Omni. You really won't need the Syndicate Omni, or the Lithium Senate if you go Radar, until you get much better at the course. Just my $0.02.