props for TSC1 Nautique

6balls

• Baller

What are people running on their bubble butts?

@skibumsam bought a 196 and it's a slug out of the hole and only runs 3800 rpm WOT. I have the same hull, same motor (GT40) and I rip out of the hole and run 4900 rpm WOT.

We tried to look peer down around my platform when on the lift and I have a 4 blade prop marked 1099. I'm pretty sure they have a prop problem as the only other explanation is for some reason they are down 100 hp or so. A mechanic checked the motor for them before purchase so I think unlikely. I can't remember the prop they have on there...I wanna say an OJ legend 206? In any event...something is amiss that boat should rip properly set up.

So if any of you happen to know what's under your TSC1 for a prop...lemme know. Others in the know ie) @Jody_Seal you have any favorites for that hull?

We gotta help a young baller here.

• Baller
I run a Acme 422. Seems to be the perfect Acme prop. OJ also has a good prop. Not to sure the number Jody Seal will know the Acme 422 was the stock prop from 02-09. Except for the 6 litre which ran a Acme 668. Same size prop exactly just a bit more cup

• Baller

If you have the same boat locally swap props and see what happens. Save him some money if the prop is ok.

Mechanics should catch things like compression and general operation but could be off on timing and have same issue. Or rope fibers wrapped in the strut. Or just misspropped.

Thank you for the responses. The boat is working great to get us out on the water but a real issue when pulling anyone over 150lbs @>32mph. Boat was purchased with (13X16) 4 blade OJ 206 presumed to be added for wakeboarding. Previous owner had a tower & killer sound system in the boat. Test drove & contributed sluggishness to prop so swapped to 4 blade OJ legend 401 which the owner provided with purchase.

Engine check was clear at the end of last season but we are still sluggish!

• Baller

I actually have a similar problem with my TSC1 Ski Nautique. It's slow out of the hole and only works well with a long setup. I'm also not sure whether to blame the engine or the prop. I'm running a Michigan Wheel Ambush 4-blade 13R16 prop which the previous owner installed. It runs:

3550 RPM @ 34.2 MPH

3350 RPM @ 32.3 MPH

WOT is approximately 41.5 MPH, but I forgot to check the RPM at that speed.

The RPM's at a given speed are a little higher than an ACME 422, but only by around 3%.

The top speed on the other hand is at least 9% lower than expected. Any thoughts?

• Baller

Like many others have said, can't go wrong with an Acme 422, especially from Delta as @JayG80 said.

When I bought my 97 TSC1 last year, it had an old (original??) OJ 13x16 on it that had been repaired 4 times based on the tick marks. It looked good visually, but I had a vibration I didn't like, and I wasn't getting the speed at a given RPM I should, so I bought a 422. I picked up 2-3 mph at a given RPM from 3000-3600 RPM, and am now near the 1 mph per 100 rpm rate that many reference. I lost 200 RPM on the top end (4900 now vs. 5100 before), but my top speed is the same. The boat also felt noticeably more smooth at speed.

• Baller

@dynaskipete I think so. I don't think they knew what to expect and it came with two props. One wasn't so great so switched but that not so great, either.

@thager not my boat so I'm not driving down to pick it up. Mine rips. @skibumsam may take you up on that offer, tho.

• Baller
The new ACME 422 is usually about $400 shipped. And you can typically have these rebuilt several times at a fraction of the cost before the reach their useful life. (pending damage of course). Easy to change with a prop puller.

@thager I may take you up on that, but only as a spontaneous late season option. We may just order one as well, depending on what can be done with the other 2 props.

Bouncing back from shoulder injury and two blown seasons, so getting on the water is top priority right now. Boat gets it done for my brother and I who are light enough to run the under powered setup.