Glasses for contacts

jr

Horton, my son wears contacts. Looking for some glasses that my son can wear to keep the spray out of his eyes and his contacts in. What do you wear and do you have any suggestions? I seem to remember a post of them year ago but I couldn't dig it up. Might make a good gear review.

• Baller
Curious if you @Horton or anyone else has taken a good face 1st OTF with those or any similar type glasses/goggles? On the one hand, it could protect your eyes in such a fall, on the other hand, it consernes me a little having something thats not tied down securly on my face in such a fall.

• Baller
@mopowpow How many points of contact does the oakley have, and how many does the bombers have. Seems any of those that only make contact at the bridge of the nose certainly has the potential of hurting and even breaking the nose. Or any limited contact glasses will have the potential of hurting that area of limited contact. I think I'm looking for a larger swim goggle, that is safety rated, type thing that has as much contact as possible, and has a nice curved profile, to lessen any potential impact to a specific area. But less bulk than a snow ski type goggle.

• Baller
@JoelR A possible different approach to your son's problem is to investigate a different type of contact lens for waterskiing. I have found that Vertex Toric contact lenses from Coopervision (I have no commercial interest in them) are much more resistant to spray/splashing. They are a little bit older style lens and are less hydrophillic than a lot of the more current lenses that keep your eyes more moist. I can wear the Vertex lenses with no problem when skiing. My daily wear contact lenses not so much... if i get splashed in the face with those they soak up the water and blur my vision. If your son doesn't wear Toric lenses (astigmatism) then they of course wouldn't work... but maybe there is a different kind of lens out there that might work... optometrists can usually get free trials. Just a thought from my experience with contacts.

• Baller

@JoelR fwiw I have skiied in my contacts for 30 years and have not so much as lost ONE , I wear monthly disposables and have just recently switched from traditional soft lense to "newer" silicone lense and no difference ... they seem to stay in place. If I were to lose one I have another I can replace it with. Good luck!