Radar Senate (Alloy) vs older HO CDX?

SSG223

I've been skiing on an older HO CDX ski (predecessor to the CX?), and I've been kicking around upgrading to a new ski. I've been skiing behind a '14 VTX, and am just about to pick up an '08 Nautique 196. Maybe it's the new ski boat, but I'm anxious to see if I can pick up my ski game, and wonder if a new ski will help with that?

At the same time, I don't just want to drop money if the ski won't make a difference. I'm just an open water skier, 32 mph and 28' off behind the VTX. I was hoping to demo the ski, but when I checked in with Wiley's (I live in the area), that did not seem an option.

I've read good things about the Senate, but any guidance on whether it is much different vs the CDX? Are there other skis worth considering? Or is this just one of those things that everyone has their favorite, and you just have to try them? If the latter, how do you go about that?

The guys at Radar have been really nice, offered to let me demo them on their lake in Renton. But I'm an open water guy, I'm pretty sure I'd feel like a fish out of water there. They did suggest the Alloy would be enough since I'm not a course skier.

Welcome any thoughts or guidance anyone might want to share, thanks in advance for your time.

Scott

• Baller

Have a 18 Senate Alloy-its a great ski...I use mine as a crossover. Radar Katana is a bit more forgiving and easier to ski. For open water skiing why mention rope length? Doesnt matter other than getting where you want to be in relation to the wake...

• Baller

I've had a few Radar skis, '12 Theory, '15 Senate Alloy, '17 Senate Graphite and '17 Vapor Graphite. For open water skiing at 32mph the Senate Alloy was likely my favorite, followed by the Vapor Graphite if it was glass calm. But in open water skiing, on our large lake, the water was rarely calm - so Senate Alloy would be my go to.

In the course, at 30mph the Senate graphite was preferred as it did perform better there. I'm not good enough to utilize the Vapor, it was too much ski for me and I ended up selling it - but I do miss it for those glass days and knife like wake crossings.

• Baller
Go try the ski with the Radar guys. Don’t worry that you have been an open water skier. My experience with Radar and folks in the ski industry in general is that they are very welcoming. Don’t be intimidated go have fun. You will get to try the ski and you may learn something.

@Deke @Chef23 - Yeah, the guys at Radar have been incredibly cool to talk to, and have been more than willing to help me out! Issue certainly isn't with the company, they've been awesome, it's a little refreshing to deal with someone that focused on their customer.

I moved to the Radar Senate Alloy a few weeks ago from an old KD 6500 ski. Night and day difference. I had a session at a ski school in Dallas and my instructor said this is the perfect ski for me as it is VERY forgiving. Basically, it was a funny back-handed "compliment" that basically said that my ski position and abilities have been saved more than enough times by the ski. The Radar is a great ski for a long-time open water skier and a non-course skier.

• Baller
The guy I've skied with these last 30+ years (and we just do open water) had a top-of-the-line or close to top-of-the-line HO from the late 90s. I think it was a VTX Venturi tunnel 9.8 flex. This year, he finally switched to an '18 Senate Alloy. It didn't take him long to adjust to it and he said it skied similarly but better. He says it's a lot easier to get up on since it's wider under the foot (I noticed this too compared to my Monza) but the thing that's most striking is that he's not falling nearly as often as he was before and I'm talking way less than before. This is a guy who throws very hard abrupt cuts where timing is everything. I think he's skiing the best I've ever seen him ski and that's pretty good when you're talking about a 63 year old. The bottom line is he couldn't be happier with the Alloy and would never go back to the old HO.