Prop Recommendation

PeterAK

• Members

I bought my boat this spring, and it had a bit of vibration when accelerating. It also had a worn out cutlass bearing and bent strut... I've replaced the strut and aligned the drive and still have the vibration, though it is now in a narrower RPM range.

Boat is a '92 PS190 with the stock 351w HO -- 285hp and 1.52:1 Powerslot. Current prop is the original OJ, which looks to be in good shape but does have a couple nicks on it. I reached out to OJ, and Eric recommends their #454, 13.7 X 17.5 LC 1 1/8” 4-blade. I reached out to ACME, and they recommend their 381.

Anybody with first hand experience on either of these, or have one laying around they'd like to sell?

Thanks!

• Members

@Ski_Dad that would be great! Thank you.

Thanks @BraceMaker that would be the plan. The OJ is about $50 more expensive when buying direct from OJ but the refurb of my old prop would be great, as it would then be a good spare.

• Members

Installed the new OJ 454 and hit the lake last night. Boat is now as smooth as I hoped it would be. Hole shot is a bit improved, top end gained 2 mph (need to check it with GPS to verify, but based on speedos now showing 45 vs 43 prior to swap), and wake seems smoother. Happy with the change. Sending the original prop to OJ to be reworked for free and put on the shelf as a back up. Biggest news of the night was my six year old son skiing long line for the first time, though the skis are still attached to each other. Next time we go out I plan to put him on the boom without the bar on the skis and see how it goes.

OJ had the prop on my doorstep two business days after ordering. Their price for a new nut/key/cotter pin was $8 and change and they shipped free. Total cost was maybe $50 more than buying the same prop from a retailer, but with the rework of my old prop I'll come out well ahead. Good experience buying direct from OJ for sure.

Since buying this boat this spring I've put more money and work into it than planned, but isn't it how it goes when buying a classic? Only items left on my to do list are fuel filters, new hose on the shaft log, and refinish the platform. And ski ski ski.

hl1oq7dx1th2.jpg