Boot spacing help - Radar Carbon sequence plate vs standard plate

C5Quest

• Baller
So I’m experimenting with boot options and came across a deal on some new Vapor boots a while back. They came with the individual plates like they normally do but wanted to give the Radar sequence plate a shot for quickly swapping skis. I picked up the new carbon model and found the closest I can get the boots (heel to toe) is about 1/4 inch or so. I usually run boots/binding as closest possible. I can get them touching heel to toe with the indivual plates but not the carbon sequence plate. Anyone have the standand (non carbon) radar sequence plate and have the same issue? Wondering if this is only a carbon plate issue or same on standard sequence plate as well. Running a size 10 Vapor boot. Only one mount option on the front. Rear has multiple holes to accommodate spacing but no luck getting them where I want/need them. Give it a shot and swap out for the individual plates if I find the gap too big. I’m on the shorter side so spacing is big deal for me.

• Baller

For my old Strada boots, size 9, I got about the same gap as you with both Sequence plates, aluminum and carbon.

I just mounted new Vapor Carbitex boots last week on one of the Sequence plates, and now my rear boot just touches the front heel. Must be the new boots are a smidge larger.

I'm short too, barely 5'8" and a 1/4 inch gap was no big deal. But, everyone is different.

• Baller
I also have size 10 vapors. To get the rear boot to touch the front one , I put the center screw in , then pivot it into position. There is an interference, but not much. Don't forget to scribe a line 12" behind your front boot ( measure from the laces ) This will make it easy for setting your boots up.

• Baller

I ride size 12 boots with a 12 1/8” spacing heel to heel. The toe box is soft enough that you can move the rear boot a hole forward and compress the toe. To do this I mount the front boot solid. Next, I attach mid screw on rear with boot angled out, only 3/4 tight so I can rotate easily. Roatate into place compressing toe box and place and tighten all screws.

TF

97ccu8p7hlm4.jpg

• Baller

@aupatking I started taking ATA after buying a pair of Radar and a sequence plate, I just couldn't ski well on those bindings and started measuring, really doesn't need to be ankle to ankle, but any fixed reference that can be used, so when I went to FM I measured from a cuff bolt to a cuff bolt, this just let me know if the binding was in the same adjustment position or not. When then setting up skis that have different rear binding patterns on universal plates it gets tough because you can't just drop the rear boots in the same hole.

Sequence plates improve the issue but you cannot always get the boot as close together as you might like if you are smaller in your size range.

My solution to this has been to just use that measurement and start at the closest I can get them together physically.

I do think it is strange that the manufacturers can't get together and put a line on the top sheet and a line on their binding plate that when lined up would be the recommended position of the heel to the ski and eliminate the nonsense.

• Baller

So feel like an idiot and can’t believe I didn’t just mount front and rotate rear into place before I posted. Good info though. I was able to easily solve my issue by rotating rear in place. Set up exactly how I need it now with zero spacing.

So next question —- can anyone feel a difference in ski performance or flex pattern. Between the single plates and the Carbon sequence plate? It seems like it flexes enough and bolted tight down to the ski. I’ve read previous posts about the standard sequence plate and the difference between using the spacers for free float vs not using the spacers. The carbon doesn’t come with any spacer type deal and seems like it would flex. I ran the single plates last night and it felt good. Looking forward to trying out the Carbon sequence tomorrow. Thoughts? Experience on strictly the Carbon plate?

• Baller

Surprisingly the difference in flex between a single, and two separate plates is super minute, immeasurable by current industry flex test standards. The upside to the single plate is you have more options in terms of spacing and fore and aft adjustment.

TF

• Baller

I was able to get the boots where I wanted to with the sequence plate, The front a little more forward and the rear as close to the front as possible. No spacers, have it screwed down tight. Working well for me. I think @SkiJay did a little write up on running different radar plates a while back.

n34ej4n7g0g3.jpg

• Baller
Most of the top Florida skiers on Radar plates do not use the spacers on either the carbon or aluminum Sequence plates. Personally, I prefer to bolt the front four screws down to the ski with no spacers, but use the floating spacers in the rear. Bolting down the rear stiffens up the back of the ski significantly. I like the tight arcs I can carve with a ski that's a little softer in the tale. Others prefer the stronger acceleration a stiffer tail delivers. I'd say try both ways and decide which you like for yourself.