How much is it really worth

Mayhem

• Baller
Check for a good local dealer or marine mechanic offer provisional on you bring able to bring it to the dealer. Needs hours and codes pulled and a basic mechanical inspection for compression. Or offer considering engine replacement cost and come up if good inspection

• Baller
If the boat is in nice condition (photos don't do it) I think if running properly it would be worth 25k to 27k. ZO 196 boats sell well. Like @BraceMaker said do a little research and figure that you'll have to replace the engine and transmission and make an offer commensurate with that in mind.

• Baller
I don't know if it's a simple drop in, but Skip has a PCM 5.3 for sale on SIA. If you could get the boat for the low teens, which seems reasonable for a non-functioning engine, add the cost of the 5.3 and you'd be sitting in it nice. Menomonie is about 15 minutes from my house, if you need someone to lay eyes on it.

• Baller

To many unknowns to be able to estimate value. Did the motor freeze, was the boat swamped, condition of the interior? If it’s a mechanical issue with the engine that’s probably easier to estimate from a distance than an electrical issue.

I probably would be interested in the challenge if it was closer and I hadn’t bought a 196 this spring. I agree clean 07-09 196s with ZO are selling for $25-27k with less than a thousand hours. When I was looking for a boat and considering repowers or ZO conversions spending $20k(total) on a boat like that didn’t make sense to me when compared with buying a clean/straight used ZO boat for $5k more.

• Baller
It says he bought it as a winter project last year and is selling now, seemingly before he finished the project... I would ask why... did it have more issues than it looks like? I’m sure he could have just decided it wasn’t worth it but you would think someone would consider that before buying a boat as a project

The boat has 550hrs. The guy he bought it from ran it out of the water. Apparently it was hot enough to melt some wires and the dog house. The motor still spins. Is there any way the motor could have survived that? I would think it needs a new motor.

I have no worries about being able to fix it, but at what price? I am in if I can get it at a good value... If the boat would be worth 25k I'd like to be up and running like new at 20k. Any more and it isn't worth the hassle. Not a lot of meat on that bone if something unexpected comes up, and it will with my luck. I need to go take a look, and see what I can figure out.

Thanks for the replies.

If I take a look at the boat is there anything specific to the 2009 196 model I should keep a look out for? They should have had all the kinks worked out at the end of the run of this hull. I just have to figure the motor is toast.