Advice - Action cameras?

moski

• Baller

Needing advice on action cameras. I don’t have anything at this moment. Looks like there is GoPro6, Tom Tom Bandit, RYLO and i am sure there are others. Pros and cons to any of these or any that i have not listed?

As a side note: i have iPhone X and i have a iMac, as well a iPad Pro. Not sure if that info is needed but just in case when it comes to editing or saving to iMovies on my iMac.....

Thank you in advance for advice,

Moski

I have a Sony FDR-X3000 that I use with the Wakeye pylon mount. The image stabilization is excellent. We use the Sony PlayMemories app on my iPhone mounted so my wife can control the camera while she's driving. Not a great app, but works fine for turning the camera on and off.

I used to use the Wakeye app on my iPhone for recording, but was never able to get smooth video. The Sony is much smoother, but it does focus on the rope so the skier is a bit fuzzy. I haven't been able to solve that issue, but the video quality plenty good enough so I can clearly see all my skiing mistakes.

• Baller

I use a GoPro 5 on a wakeeye. It works easy enough. The only issue is zoom leaves something to be desired. You can't get that clear of a picture at 60 fps. I normally shoot at 2k and then zoom in to 1080p. I guess you can shoot 4k at 60 fps on the GoPro 6 and zoom into 2k or really zoom in to 1080p and hopefully get a good shot. Some people have gotten a lens with success, I need to try that still.

I have some samples on: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCglHcZOaGq3c3o8bS3HKpEw

• Baller

Is there anyone that is out there using and iPhone X with any sort of mount system? I'm interested to know if there is any issues with the rope shake on the slacked turns and if the high quality of the camera on the X can fix any of the issues if just zoomed back a little?

I want a Wakeye, but the Ski-Doc pricing is soooo much better and if a good camera can fix a little, I might buy.

• Baller

So been looking around. Will wait till next year to get it which gives time for next models to come out. But i finally had time to play around on internet. Looks like GoPro hero 6 black can zoom in. Anybody have GoPro hero 6 black??? How does it work??? I have a skidoc orbit pylon mount holder for my 2015 TXI..... curious on how the stabilization and shaky ness would be withe the Skidoc orbit and GoPro hero 6??

Looks like up in Canada there is a company back-bones, here is website: https://www.back-bone.ca/

Looks like they can take a GoPro hero 6 black or older GoPro camera or other cameras that have stabilization and add/retrofit lenses on them. You can take different lenses to get the zoom you want or film you want etc.... anybody come across them and buy from them in Canada????

@njriverrider I have iPhone X , just not crazy on putting that on the skidoc orbit (don’t want my iPhone X flying out). Thought of idea: put my phone into a case, tie a loose rope to the pylon or barefoot holder i have near bottom of pylon, so if something happens, the iPhone will slip out of holder and stay in boat. Just thinking ahead, don’t want to loose my phone... I’m gonna do that and see how that goes...

• Baller
@moski filming in 2.7k res zoomed out it's good, as expected, especially with the built-in stabilization (just started using it for filming our slalom with a Ski-Doc Orbit pylon mount). I zoomed all the way in (linear view for both tests to get narrow field of view without the fisheye effect) and I'd say the video quality was maybe half. Still good enough to critique body movements and technique. 4k would be even better, especially if I didn't zoom in all the way; we're running 15-off, so shorter line lengths would be better. I can post the footage if you'd like when I get some free time.

• Baller
@moski I have the same peripheral devices you have and using the Tracker App. I have been struggling with a good way to record until this past weekend. I purchased a refurbished iPhone 6 for <$180 and connected it to my apple account. Mounted on a pylon mount and set to 120 fps it starts the video when skier speed is attained, runs the camera speed slo mo when the skier starts for the gate and stops video what skier speed is below set speed. This keeps it from running constantly. Best of all it sinks via iCloud with all of my other iPhone devices instantly. Nice. Happy now.

• Baller

Here is a sample of video from a Hero6 mounted on a SkiDoc pylon mount. Was shot in 1080P/narrow FOV (GoPro calls it "linear" mode)/ at 120FPS with a little bit of zoom. I used to shoot 4k or 2.7k and zoom in later when shooting from the boat, but if you drop the resolution on the GoPro you can increase the framerate for Slo-Mo (I slowed it to 1/4 speed at 3 ball in the clip below). The video is not that great and a phone or real camera with narrower lens would be better for sure. The GPS feature is nice though on the Hero5 and up (if you can get the overlay software to work). With pylon mount you can see the boat speed variation for the run overlayed on the video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1k7yy2m4tex2m7z/Hero6-1080.mp4?dl=0

or you can chest or helmet mount to get skier telemetry: (shot in 2.7k/superview/60fps)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k39xfrsy5i5pml5/32_15T.mp4?dl=0

• Baller

Thank you guys. Damn great stuff. Sweet videos @Tom351 . All something to think about. I found a guy in the US were he takes GoPro cameras (well any camera) and he can put an 8mm or 12 mm lense on it so your video is crisp and clear and not pixelated/fuzzy like it can be with digital zoom. He is similar to the the Back bone in Canada which i had previous posted about this but here in the states. Its on the pricey side, but you can littlerly use the gopro stock lense or put on the 8mm or 12mm lense so it becomes like a dslr camera switching out lenses. Im pondering over it. If i do this and get it, i will report back and post video too.

I like the other ideas too. Cool video @Tom351 ...

• Baller
Would love to be able to use my iPhoneX, because that’s pretty much my exclusive picture/video device because of how good it is and easy to use. I’m wondering if anyone is using the Wakeye anti vibration mount devicee, attached to the XT One? That might be the setup if it works with the iPhoneX to remove the wavy vibration stabilization crap.