Wakeye question

Buoyhead69

• Baller
After my Wakeye Broke for the 2nd time, sending a $1200 Canon to the floor, I tried the Orbit, and I have to say it works perfectly. Best deal ever for just over a hundred bucks. Can't believe how ridiculously simple it is. No restriction for my drivers to shorten the rope, they all Love it, with the Camera off to the far side. No video shake what so ever. A true no brainier !!!!

• Baller

If you use newer iPhones, the video will shudder due to the built in electronic image stabilization of the phone’s camera. The electronic image stabilization tries to compensate / correct the slight, but ever present engine vibration, which results in a wavy video. I had this issue with my iPhone 6 and contacted Mads (owner, inventor, and maker of Ski Doc). He advised me to use a different (simpler) camera / older iPhone or to use the display/selfie side of the phone. That camera is obviously not as sophisticated as the phone’s primary camera.

I had a retired iPhone 5c lying around and now use that without any issues. The videos can be easily transferred between the devices using Apple’s built in Airdrop function.

• Baller

I have experience with both the WakeEye XT-One and Ski Doc Orbit. There are definite pro and cons to both.

The pro to the Orbit is it's lower price and extreme durability. The con is it doesn't track as well as the WakeEye. It basically doesn't swing the camera all the way out to the ball very well. It works fine if you're using a wide-angle camera, but it's pretty much unusable from my experience if you are trying to get a zoomed in view. Which is what I'm doing since I record with a camcorder. If I were happy with somewhat wide angle video, I would use the Orbit as my day to day camera mount.

The Pro to the WakeEye is they have a feature where you can adjust the pivot point of the camera mount to be offset from the center of the pylon. going back to your high school geometry, that gives you the ability to have the camera turn at a greater angle as the skier moves out to the ball. With a zoomed in camera, it lets you keep the skier in the frame out at the ball to get a good view of the turn. The con of the WakeEye, in my experience, is durability. The WakeEye guys are pretty good about replacing broken parts, but having to ship stuff from Australia to the US makes it a fairly painful process. Net, I'm constantly working on the WakeEye to keep it working. And I essentially have a machine shop in my basement. My WakeEye has been modified and reinforced pretty extensively at this point. The really weak part is the attachment points at both end of the carbon tracking boom.

I also use a heavily modified camcorder for my recordings with my own electronic controls to auto start and stop the video based on GPS location in the course, and it controls camera zoom automatically based on line length.

I have no experience with the new WakeEye Cylon and haven't decided if I'm going to try it or not. I already have a lot of time and money invested in my current setup, and am not sure if I'm willing to invest more time in money in trying out the new one.