Gas vapor lock ...help

Wish

• Baller_

@Wish : That engine probably has a mechanical fuel pump, so vapor lock is not really that common with that setup. Probable causes as it sounds like a newish problem would be the fuel pump is getting a bit weaker due to age. To help, you can take a cold rag and toss on pump when it acts up, insulating the fuel lines helps and running the blower when you shut a hot engine off will keep the underhood cooler.

Ethanol fuel is not friendly for vapor lock on an older engine, in fact old fuel lines and rubber parts from the mid 90's are not compatible with ethanol fuel so those may need to be replaced and are contributing to the issue.

• Baller
@wish what @dklkskr said. I did 2 things to fix my issue. I installed an auxiliary electric fuel pump right at the tank. This pressurized the fuel line from the tank to the engine where the mechanical fuel pump is. The second issue was related to the vapor separating tank that my engine has. If you have one, look at replacing the gasket and diaphragm inside the vst. The diaphragm acts as a 1 way valve allowing built up vapor to escape and bleed back to the front of the system. In my case the vapor lock was happening inside this tank. The diaphragm was installed backwards and wasn't working properly. Depending on the model of vst, determines which way it is installed. Once I bought a new kit and installed correctly I have had no issues for several years.