What are the obvious signs your bindings are to far forward?

JC McCavit

• Baller

What are the obvious signs your bindings are to far forward?

I moved my front binding on my 19 67 Senate Pro to 30.75 and seems to work pretty good. At factory 30.5 using a Radar G10 Sequence Plate, the bindings are almost as far back on ski as they can go. At 30.5 the ski turned good onside and not as good offside. Is 30.75 to far forward, and has anyone else moved this far forward?

• Administrators
That's a really wide ski so if 30.75 works then Rock on. When I've had my bindings too far forward one of the things I noticed is a ski will bite too much at offside.

• Supporting Member

I haven't really tested this theory yet, but I have a suspicion that a CG fin allows (maybe even prefers) bindings being far forward, because one of the classic problems of being too far forward on the ski is a sluggish on-side turn, but as far as I can tell it's impossible to set up a CG fin to have a sluggish on-side turn!

I think this might be even more true if also using an S-wing, because the S-wing makes you "automatically" transition from back a little when trying to maintain speed, to putting the front in the water when you want to bleed speed.

(Hopefully someone named Adam will correct me if I've just spewed a pile of nonsense...)

• Baller
What I do, is keep moving the front binder forward (during the same set) until I go "%^$" that is too far (you will know!) and then go back one notch. Then repeat with the rear binder. Only then would I consider touching the fin. My motto is you paid for the whole ski, use as much of it you can.

• Baller
The rear binder primarily effects the on-side turn. So I attempt to dial in my offside turn with my front binder and then slow down (move rear binder forward) or speed-up my on-side. Unfortunately ski/fin adjustment is more of a dark art than science and sometimes the results are not what is expected. If I was better, my on-side turn would not be as mediocre as it typically is.

• Baller_
For me, the obvious sign was that I would hit a bad slump (lots of effort, no speed, not balanced on the ski). as soon as the water warmed up. I couldn’t figure it out until this year. Moved my binding back one hole (no other changes) and everything was great all summer. I believe you can get away with being in front of the sweet spot of the ski in cold water, but not warm.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
I had an older Senate (2015 I think), and it felt like I couldn't get it to turn on my onside. I moved both bindings forward about 1/2" forward of the recommended setting, and it started turning like a dream. I don't remember the measurements, but I do know that the recommended setting for the 2017 Senate matched what I used to have my old 2015 Senate set to.

• Baller

We were playing with skis today. Badal's Goode (OK, his backup ski but tuned for ridiculously short line), Dee's D3 evo and a big 67.5 Goode Nano. Where to mount the Nano? Measuring from the back, the Nano mounting inserts were in exactly the same place as Badal's ski despite the length difference. The D3 inserts were a couple inches (yes!) forward of Badal's ski and the skis looked very similar otherwise. What a range of possibilities!

We mounted the Nano to match Badal's ski. It rocked. Punished us if we got back but was smooth and tight if we could keep our weight forward. At some point we should try going forward with the mount but our guess worked.

I normally ski a 64 but it's wide. And I mount somewhat forward. I was going 32. Loved the ski and was running 32 (off!) when the garden gloves and the grip faded. Dee was at 34 and worried that the Nano was too big - didn't seem that way based on his buoy count!

Definitely experiment with large movements. The results might surprise you. @Horton will want video if you move 2 inches but significant buoy gains might happen.

Eric

• Baller

Too forward is easiest to see on offside.

Breaking a the waist and blowing the tail out at the end of the turn. It hurts the onside turn but not as catastrophic as the offside because it’s easier to drop the hips down and hold onside turn.

• Baller

@JackQ do you not maintain the same distance between front and back boot on each ski you ride?

I've tried moving my back boot back from the front but always found the closer I could get the 2, the more balanced over the front foot I became.