Courses in Charlotte or Raleigh (North Carolina)

philkyle

• Baller
Thank you so much! I don't know much about the climate in NC, and since I am from Michigan the earliest you can ski is around March or April and the latest being around November depending on how enjoyable you want it to be. Is the skiing year round, or is it similar to Michigan?

• Baller
Depends on how much cold you can stand. For me I probably wouldn't ski passed oct/Nov depending on the year and start back up march/April. For what you're used to you could maybe get another month on each end. But then the summers are pretty much as hot as florida. I grew up in Durham but wasn't really skiing in those days.

• Baller
There is a club on Norman. Idk much about it. I’d assume there’s one in Little Mountain. I think there’s one in Little Mountain. In my Native Florida opinion the earliest you can ski in NC is March till maybe late October/early November. Greensboro area has a decent number of lakes but I’m unaware of clubs and courses. Great potential though. I know theres a group of skiers on Lake Lure. I know Panther Lake is friendly.

• Baller
@philkyle I've been in florida for about 30 years now. I've only been skiing for about 5 years, so nothing really significant growing up in NC. My family is still in Durham/Raleigh/Chapel Hill, I visit often. I have noticed different posts of some others on here, which is where I saw of these ski lakes. We take a trip up usually once, maybe twice, during summer to see family and camp at Jordan Lake. There is also a Jordan Lake Ski Group on facebook. Seems like most of their activities are at Magnolia lakes. But all of those groups would be a good place to make some contacts. Jordan lake is a nice lake, with some great free skiing. There are also at least 1, if not 2 submerged courses that should be there ready to just attach some buoys. I may look into that next time were there.....probably June. I also heard there used to be a course on Falls Lake in Raleigh. Don't know if its still there.

• Baller
I run the panther lake club. Give me a call if you want to talk. We start March April with just a heater top. And will ski till end of October with just the heater top. Dry suit could ski just about year round. January and February get really cold, just not enjoyable for me. 9196101492 jason.

• Baller
If I move down there I won't know anybody so I appreciate all your advice/help. I live in Traverse City, Michigan right now and there is a pretty vibrant ski community around town. There are a bunch of public lakes with courses on them, so I get to ski a few times a week before work (mostly on one lake because I know some rippers out there). If there is more for me to learn feel free to reach out. I could use all the help in the world! If I do more down to NC, I'd love to ski with any of you.

Lake Norman Ski Club maintains 4 courses. 2 submersible and 2 floating. Additionally, we have weekly practices from Memorial Day to Labor Day on Tuesday nights.

Checkout www.lakenormanskiclub.com for more information

Lake Norman is within easy commuting distance of Charlotte, NC

• Baller
I am moving down to Charlotte. Is Lake Norman around there? I would love to join up with you guys to ski. Are there any ski lakes around the Charlotte area? If you want to get ahold of me send me a private message, so I can give you my phone number.

Lake Norman is just north of Charlotte.

I'm currently the VP of the club. All our courses are on public waters and should be viewable on google maps.

They are:

1. Near Blythe Landing

2. On Lake Davidson

3. Near Eddie's on the lake

4. Near the Harbor club

We still have a few guys skiing.

January 1 is a barefoot competition on the lake that a few are training for.

PM sent