Who is the greatest underrated skier in the modern era?

Horton

• Administrators

I am doing some research for a future Distance From Center show and got to thinking…..

Who is the greatest underrated or unknown skier in the modern era?

I define the modern era as 1980 to present.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

@MS

First of all I am pretty sure that Natalie is (was) not a men's slalom skier and she was not unknown when she was skiing.

Wim? yea I see your point.

T-Mo? darn good skier but as well known as I would expect.

@Ilivetoski Yea maybe. Cale is my first guess.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
Not exactly unknown, but Jeff Rogers has always seemed underrated, or at least overshadowed, to me. The guy held the world record and always had a day job. He's such an unassuming guy that I think he kind of gets overlooked.

• Administrators

@aspski

http://media.tumblr.com/fe497dd337d9af8479bb6398b9565d16/tumblr_inline_mg6n5ltl6X1rxe4lt.gif

http://media.tumblr.com/fe497dd337d9af8479bb6398b9565d16/tumblr_inline_mg6n5ltl6X1rxe4lt.gif

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

@Nando you think Rogers is underrated? Really? He ALMOST makes my Mt Rushmore list. He is a titan of the sport.

@aspski you almost received a QUADRUPLE Panda for that.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

It's hard for me to disagree with Cale -- remarkable athlete who just happens to be part of the same Denali Project that I am.

But I do think @Nando has a point, and it's because Jeff Rodgers probably should be on Mount Rushmore, and yet I don't think I would have even thought of him sitting here on my own.

• Baller

I feel this is a vague topic or maybe I misunderstand it. 1980 was almost 40 years ago, heck I wasn’t even born yet.

On this side of the land mass if you say Terry Winters people say Terry Who? When I feel his name should be at number 5.

The other would be Robert Pigozzi. Granted he’s a young buck and hasn’t proven his ground well enough but the guy is a beast.

And yes, Burdick should be up there.

• Administrators
@Orlando76 I am perfectly willing to debate the definition of modern era. There is no wrong answer unless you are the guy who says that Nate Smith is underrated :smile:

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@Horton

Granted I’m no way a ski expert nor a ski historian. In my mind I can come up with the big names for the past 5 decades of skiing. I’m drawing a blank on big names from the 60’s. We’re there even waterskiing records in the 50’s? So “since 1980” is 80% of the decades within my skiing knowledge, I’d call 1980+ modern times.

• Baller
Since you're thinking from the 80s to now; some great slalom skiers you don't hear a lot about that come to mind include Kenny Auture, Brett Thurley, John McElyea, Jason Parades, Mark Crone, Simon Hill, Tyler Yeager. I think they've all been either top 20, top 10 or top 5. Cale Burdick and the guys at Denali are pretty amazing and not the biggest names these days.

• Baller

@Hallpass I didn’t take into account for Dick Pope. Guessing Chuck Stearns is Stearns which sure ok, rings a bell, that’s all I can say there. LaPoint brothers brought home awards in the 60’s? I thought KLP started early 70’s. Joker Osborne nope never heard of him. Did not know Suyderhoud went that far back.

Edit-Yep Kris set a title in 1967. Didn’t think he went that far back.

• Administrators
@Orlando76 Chuck Stearns is worth a Google. He's a Hall of Fame skier who likely makes my all-time Mount Rushmore list. he's one of the most decorated skiers of all time not only in 3 event but also in ski racing.

Drop a dime in the can