Aquastar not connecting

bojans

• Baller

I am trying to upgrade our boat to single puck but the Aquastar software in not connecting to the system. I have the password and serial number correct, it allows me into the program but it just keeps cycling through "link error" "trying to reconnect".

Any advise?

• Baller

@Gloersen

Thanks

This boat is newer to us so I am not sure if the port has ever been used. We borrowed the ECOM cable, it has been used in the past.

We are using the 3.5.0.0

Is this a bring it to the dealer situation?

Unfortunately we cut the wires on the old pucks to pull them out prior to figuring out the update wasn't working so now we are speed control less.

• Baller

I'm having a similar problem. Tested computer and cable on a buddies boat and coms worked as described in the writeup. Went to my boat with same setup and couldn't establish coms. It goes into a loop trying to establish coms but fails repeatedly with message:

"Error opening com port 8 in HandleConnect

Link error - attempting recoonect"

Trying to get help from ZO now.

• Baller
In my case it's a 2010 PCM Excalibur in a 2001 Nautique. I think @Jody_Seal did the repower for Jerry Jackson. Connected ECOM cable to the connector on the engine. All wiring on engine appears to be original PCM harness.

• Baller
@bojans this is water under the bridge but you could have disconnected the pin plug without cutting. This in no way addresses your problem, but for now can't you splice the wires back?

• Baller

@Gloersen I am connecting on the engine using this connector. Can someone confirm this is the diagnostic plug? 5pd2qdlxce8y.jpg

@LeonL We were being lazy and just cut the wire. I plan to splice it tonight if I can't get the update to work.

@ski6jones After speaking with ZO yesterday I did a quick check on the diagnostics plug. I was told I should have 2.5-3.5v on the 2 pins that the ECOM connects to. I only have this on one pin. My next step is to find the blue w/ pink stripe and blue w/ white stripe wires under the dash and connect the ECOM directly to those bypassing the wire harness and connecting directly to the ZO system. I am only updating to single puck Rev R so this should be sufficient to get up and running but will have to diagnose and fix the reason for no voltage at the diagnostic port to get to Rev S (I believe). I am taking all of this with a grain of salt as there seem to be some discrepancies between what I understood from the tech at ZO and what I actually saw on the boat.

@Xpropman I will be in touch if this doesn't work. Thanks

• Baller

@Xpropman If I have the cable adapter and the antenna, do I need to bring the whole boat in to get it programmed or will just the head work? Is there a difference between my 2011 Indmar in the MC and the 2010 200 motor in the American Skier or will both heads get the same reprogram?

I think the American Skier is Rev S but now I'm not sure (it is the single puck). Was that an option to have a single puck with Rev R? It doesn't have a six pin connector.

The MC does have a six pin plug under the dash (but it is a Deutsch grey 6 pin connector). Is that where I would reprogram?

Or should I just replace the failing puck and enjoy Rev R?

On a side note, what was MC thinking? Twelve screws holding the instrument panel in place. Only two unscrewed from the front. Had to drill out the other ten! Inaccessible Nylock wingnuts holding the screws for the panel. Crazy! The panel now unscrews from the front - like it should have originally.

Eric

• Baller

Well I was able to connect to the ZO with Aquastar by tapping into the pins under the dash.

49r5uc9izpch.jpeg

The system said the upgrade was successful but we don’t have a GPS signal now. I played around with a bunch of connections and got nothing then noticed the SW version (I assume software) is the same from before the update.

e6h7fot3s74x.jpeg

goau5wf3tvf0.jpeg

I guess I will be calling ZO in the morning.

A couple of questions

- it appears the connectors on the boat that the pucks were plugged into are not used with the new harness?

- Based on the information @Gloersen provided in another post I believe I have the connections correct rk4gbdhf610t.jpeg

- are there any ZO gurus in N Il? Ski sets and alcohol are on me. It is going to be 80 tomorrow.

• Baller
@bojans did you upgrade to Rev R and single puck at the same time? I think the .mot file is specific to either dual or single puck. I replace my head unit and specified single puck when i bought it. Initially I still had the dual pucks attached and it didn't work. Changed out dual for single puck and all was good. When installing the single puck I just matched the wire colors across any connector where there was more than one choice. Been a couple weeks so don't recall the specifics but can look Thurs if that would help.

• Baller

@Not_The_Pug. OK, I'll send it to you so long as I get to use that fancy boat you have while you are dealing with mine.

@bojans The plugs for the original double pucks will be empty with the new retrofit harness and puck. But in the bottom picture, it looks like you have some plugs unplugged. The adapter harness is a jumper for the twisted blue wires and the power feed. They all need to be connected. So you didn't have signal or power to the new puck and the programming failed? Try again with all the plugs connected.

Not that I can figure out ZO. But I did wire up the American Skier ZO with a homemade harness that eventually worked. I'm getting less enamored with the idea of Rev S seeing your issues.

Eric

• Baller

@ski6jones we were on Rev R and are staying with R but single puck upgrade. With the issues I have been having I will wait until fall when we aren't usign the boat as much to attempt the upgrade to S

@Jody_Seal Thanks, I will check that tonight

@eleeski I can only connect one other connector from the new harness and that has the same wires as the blue/pink blue/white which @Gloersen showed unplugged in another post. The pink black red white/black plug does not fit any plug under the dash

• Baller

I haven't started to look at the MC harness but the new harness kit that came with the American Skier had a confusing amount of plugs. Still, the adapter harness for the single puck was designed to for unplugging the triangle plug to the ecm, plugging the adapter harness in both male and female sides as a jumper and doing the same with the power rectangular plug. I clearly see the female triangle plug from the adapter harness open and a male triangle plug open from the boat harness (although I can't see the wire colors on the boat plug to make sure they match). I also see a male power plug open on the adapter harness. It's possible that your ecm is not getting connection and your puck is not getting power. Explains the symptoms. But your wiring harness could be different.

Note that it's very confusing. Splices are hidden in the wiring harness. Some plugs are redundant or for occasional maintenance use. That's why I made a simplified harness for the American Skier (which has no plug to upgrade - so much for that idea). I haven't looked at my MC yet to try to figure out it's hookup ( @Xpropman it will be a while before I get a chance to look at it - in the meantime, I'll just use the spare old style puck).

Note that the triangle plug really has only two wires used, the blue/red and the blue/white and the rectangular power plug has only three wires used, the red, black and pink. The white/red and white/black wires were dummies on my harness.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Eric

• Baller

Weds evening update

ZO confirmed today I had been sent the wrong file (file was for Garmin pucks). Unfortunately the new file they sent me also appears to be wrong. I received this message.

sqf9qeeb3ajv.jpeg

And the guy I have been working with is now out on vacation until Tuesday. Hoping I. An find another person at ZO to help me tomorrow.

As a side note I drove by hand tonight for the first time in 20+ years. I don’t like it...

• Baller
I checked voltages at my diagnostic port and all were within range. Attempted to connect again but was unsuccessful. The tech at ZO said I could connect directly to the head unit for Rev S upgrade, no change to ECM is involved. I made a jumper to the head unit and connected no problem. Upgrade from here went as described in the docs. Tested boat and everything worked. Will take a set tomorrow and see how it feels.

• Baller
Help, @bojans @Gloersen I'm have the SAME issue you described with the Aquastar. Any chance we can chat? Mike 207-712-3333 - SN 2007 upgrading to single puck. ZO confirms all good with antenna set up with connections. BUT can't get ECOM cable to 'connect'. Power light is good but other 2 just flash. Uninstalled/Reinstalled AS. Driver is up to date and verified. Even tried running AS in windows compatibility mode per ZO tech suggestions. Not getting 'connected'. I have new .mot file handy, Password and Serial # both work fine (if it didn't it would close the program). ECOM cable was recently used on another upgrade. Any assistance appreciated. I'm super frustrated.

• Baller

Solved!!! Thanks you @Xpropman !!! Thank you. I learned from Skip who was nice enough to call me after seeing my post above that in 2007 Nautique incorrectly wired the diagnostics port. They accidentally switched 2 wires.

To get the ECOM cable to work you need to swap the Gray and White wires on the diagnostics port. See photos below. With a small flat head screwdriver pop the small light-gray piece off the port (shown in bottom right of 1st photo below), then pop the long support light-gray plastic piece off the port (it's half off in photo #1). Then take needle nose pliers and pull out (pull pretty hard to pop out) the 2 wires. Notice they have a square-ish end. They only go in and out one way. Swap them and reassemble. To push them in hold the wire near the end with the needle nose and push hard...they pop back into place (like when they popped out).

The ECOM cable has 2 pins. If they are not correct on the diagnostics port the ECOM will just wildly blink and won't connect.

The process after you have connection is easy...connect, upload .mot file, done.

Zero Off had no idea why my good ECOM cable would not connect to the head or boat, but I'm letting them know today.

Looks like @bojans went a different route that worked...but now we all know why he had to do it the way he did.

Thanks again @Xpropman

Keywords: zero off, aquastar not connecting, ECOM cable, 2007 Ski Nautique