'19 Syndicate Omni: My Experience

mfjaegersr

• Baller

Summary: I'll update this as the season and my skiing progresses. I switched from an S2 to the Syndicate Omni with the expectation of accelerating my technique improvement and thus progress into short(er)line - precisely what the Omni is designed for. I've been banging away at 30/32/34 MPH for the last 4 years since un-retiring from skiing; last year saw a PB of 4@34/15 and ran 32/15 a total of 25 times (7 times in 2017). I almost never ski at 30 MPH because it feels sooooo......arduous! - like skiing through yogurt. The Omni is has changed that for me. Dramatically.

First Report:

5/2 - 8 passes; first day...which foot forward is it?

5/5 - 10 passes; gorgeous day. Felt a little bit like skiiing...

5/10 - Free skiing at 32/15...ahhh, ol' school. Getting a rhythm.

5/12 - Ran 30/15 back to back...off the dock, and again on the 6th/last pass, then again off the dock in the second set. I'd never run 4 complete passes in one day. That's a PB, no? Interesting...

5/14 - I should double check my fin, ensure it's still where I set it two weeks ago. (pause) Holy Shiesse! Face palm....the kind that leaves a red mark. It was sloppy loose on the leading edge, fully 1/8 deeper resulting in the wing being at 9.5* and other ! How 'bout another, redder mark. I'm thinking "How the ___? When did...? Hmm. If I skied well with it like THIS....?!?" (My buddy joked - 'what if you put it back to stock and then you ski like crap?!')

5/19 - Despite a week off, a tight low back, and cooler temps...I ran 30/15 off the dock again. And then again. And again. And again. 4 straight. Another PB of sorts. Verrrrry interesting.

It's still really early...and yet I've got a pretty good feeling about making my goal this season...running 34/15 - more than once - and getting to legitimately do that scissors thing... :-)

I loved my 65" Syndicate ONMI I skied on for a month last year, funniest ski through 32' off at 34 mph I have ever been on. The ski is effortless to get up on, fast across course, and turns nice. At 35' and shorting I think it may have been too big for me at 150 lbs. If HO made a 64" Syndicate OMNI I would buy it.

• Baller
@mfjaegersr Try running 22 off at 30 mph and 32 mph. I was banging my head on 15 off 34 mph most of last season. Then I tried 22 off..... feels very different... .and a lot of fun. I feel like it helped my skiing a lot more than struggling at 15 off 34 mph. 22 off at 30 mph came pretty quickly... and i worked my way up to 32.5. You mentioned that 30 mph felt slow.... 22 off will make it feel a little faster. I'm sure others could give you better advice... but changing up the rope length was a lot of fun.

• Baller
@ScotChipman1 I am trying an '18 Omni and am a mid 35 off guy at 150lbs. I understand HO stiffened up the '19 version. Do you think that would help shorter line lengths? Yes it is a lot of surface area for our weight. I hope to be more consistent at 32 off and deep 35. Your thoughts?

• Baller

After some free skiing Sunday, and some video analysis....I moved my bindings forward last night, aiming for better offside turning as I continue to get comfortable on this ski. Back in the course today....One warm up pass of whip drill for a sanity check, then ran 3 passes at 30/15, like they were the easiest of the year. Did the second set at 32; I’m really focused on working on gates at this point in the season, and my timing reflects it. Was too early for the gate on the last pass, but ran it for the first 32/15* of the year.

Other current settings:

33qttomd2rmb.png

My 18 Syndicate Omni really works well with the Denali Fin. The turns feels incredibly symmetric and smooth. I'm right where you are are in terms of skiing ability. I finished last year with a PR of 4 back-to-back passes at 34/15. Haven't skied too much this year but got 2 back-to-back passes already this year.

• Baller

Omni strikes again!...First PB move in 31 years!

I’m getting much more consistent overall with my rebuilt technique, and results agree. Went off the dock today ran 30/15 twice, 32/15 twice (first complete 32 this year...and B2B) and then 3@34/15 to finish the first set. Second set ran 32/15 OTD, then moved my PB 2 balls, getting 6@34/15, way too late to attempt the exit gate...Damnit. Janet. Previous PB of 4@34/15 tied last year 2x...but set it originally back in 1988...? (there was a 25 or so year break in there for wife n kids, etc.)

And now...a toast with a well-earned Hefe!n9jpcjdjor3q.jpeg

House SYNDICATE, ruling from The Carbon Throne ?

@savaiusini

• Baller
@mfjaegersr How far apart do you have your front and back binding plates? I have the same ski, the HO syndicate hardshell and the r-style rear. I had to spread them apart to be able to get the front binding in. Thinking about trying a rtp.

• Baller

@bparson In a word ‘abutted’:hr4t4c2x5ail.jpeg

23ay3ppazr8e.jpeg

I’ve thought about an RTP too, though with the R straps JUST inserted I’m able to get some/enough? ankle lift. And this ski/setup is really earning my trust while building confidence, so my RTP trial is on the back back burner.