Trailer Tire pressure

jetpilotg4

• Baller
@skierjp what if the trailer does not have the same load rating tires that the trailer manufacturer put on it? The sticker will be wrong. You always go with what is on the sidewall of the tire.

• Baller
Its not like car tires. Some trailers are made specific for some boats, but some will take a variety of boats/weights. A lot goes into the specific tire pressure that car/trucks specify in terms of vehicle weigh/handling/tire ware etc. There's not a lot of downside with going to max psi. If the boat trailer weight is significantly below the combined tire's rating, maybe you could get some uneven wear (wearing the center more than the sides) but the downside to under-inflating is a blowout on the highway. Just go to the max rating on the tire. The amount of trailer use rarely wears the tread down before the tire is of an age it needs to be replaced anyway.

• Baller
If the trailer is designed for the boat, go with the sticker pressure. To much air could abuse the boat with too stiff of a ride. Same deal with the tire pressure sticker inside the door of your car or truck, unless you are carrying more weight than normal on trailer or boat.

• Baller

I have had several blow outs including the tow vehicle and a 15,000lb trailer. I will subject my boat to a slightly bumpy ride to prevent a blow out any day of the week. Fleet mechanics and tire guys have always told me, to best prevent a blow out, run the tire at the pressure stamped on the side wall. Under-inflated tires cause heat build up, heat build up causes blowouts.

The pressure indicated on the sticker of my pickup is 80psi, the max pressure on the tires is 60psi, the current tires are rated to a higher weight than the stock tires.

• Baller
@skiinxs - tires are not suspension. The trailer has springs or torsion arms for a reason. In general the stock tires on boat trailers are at or above their max limit the day you pick the boat up. The 4 C rated tires on my trailer were replaced with D rated and I inflate them to max as well.

• Baller_

I had a rather bad experience with trailer tires and multiple blowouts within a few hundred miles. Finally got to a tire shop with a guy who knew what he was doing and he said you will never wear out a trailer tire - after 4 years, chuck ‘em.

I’ve tried to push for that 5th year three times and the 4 year rule was proven each time.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
The placard on the trailer is for the stock tires it came with. Run what the placard says to run. If you change tire ratings then the placard is no good. Those who think you run what the sidewall says are wrong. Car & Driver and Trailer Boat Magazine have articles explaining this. Watch your tire pressure monitoring system on your vehicle and you may be surprised at how the tire pressure changes as the tires warm up.

• Baller
If you want/need the stated capacity of the trailer tire, you need to run it at the capacity on the tire sidewall (cold max inflation pressure). If your load is well below the load ratings of the tires, then feel free to run differently, but it's common knowledge that the maximum load rating for trailer tires is only achieved when they're inflated to the maximum listed on the sidewall. Yes, pressures will change when the tire is hot/in use, but that's accounted for by the tire manufacturer, and why they list the maximum cold inflation temperature.

• Baller

I suspect most if not all ski boat trailer manufacturers (like mine) have the placard listing the max cold PSI for the tire they put on it. The manufacturers are not going to spend more money for higher load rated tires than what is required.

• Baller
FYI the placard would not be allowed to be on the trailer if it did not adhere to DOT guidelines. So it’s not like they are just guessing on the tire pressure. Has anyone ever ridden in the boat as it is going down the road? Unbelievably harsh! Now jack up the tire pressure and it gets even worse.

• Baller
The placard on my trailer states trailer weight capacity with this particular tire, at this inflation (which matches the max inflation of the tire at 80psi.) Mine is a 2017 mastercraft trailer for my 2017 prostar. Again, not like the recommended tire pressure rating on a car.