Ski Nautique vs 200?

SSG223

I'm currently skiing behind a 2008 SN196, and am considering upgrading to a new boat (likely my last). I'm a pure open water skier, never been on a course and have no interest. I love the looks of the new Ski Nautique, it's pretty bad ass. But at $20k+ north of a new 200, I'm curious if it's THAT much better. My local dealer can't keep one in stock long enough for me to demo it, and likely won't be getting any new 2019's, and dropping $100k on a ski boat seems a stretch.

Curious if any of you have skied behind a new 200 and the new Ski Nautique, and if so, any opinions on the difference? I'm far, far from elite, but feel like I'm a decent skier. For reference, I ski at 33 mph hour and 22' off. I do like the 200 vs the 196, curious if most agree with that opinion as well?

Thanks in advance for any insight, the readers here have been incredibly gracious with my questions in the past, appreciate your time and thoughts.

Scott

• Baller

I skied both and prefer the 22off wake of the “Bryant” 200 at 34 a good bit over the one, the new “Ski” Nautique produces. IMHO the flagship was never designed for the average Joe skier.

My advice - Ski it for yourself. At that price point...

I have the 2019 Ski Nautique promo with the 6.2 and my neighbor has a 2016 Ski Nautique 200 with a 6.2 that I have skied behind a lot, I have not skied behind the new Nautique 200. I love the new Ski Nautique, everything was designed around skiing from getting around the boat and in and out of the water. The Ski Nautique does have carbon fiber in the hull and as a result weights 300 lbs less than the Nautique 200. The new Ski Nautique has 1" less draft than the Nautique 200 and rides slightly higher in the water, as a result the boat does move around more than the 200 when pulling a skier but still very easy to keep straight. The micro tuners make for a nice flat wake on the new Ski Nautique at 32' and shorter for me and from what I hear (I have only skied through 35' so far behind it at 34 mph), my wife loves the wake at 28.6 mph and 15' off. I had my local dealer (Croft Marine) price out the two boats with the same options and the new Ski Nautique came in at $11k more.

• Baller

The new 200 is obsolete for tournament pulls - but you still will see them at Class C tournaments.

The new boat advantage for pure slalom in the course is minimal.

ZO is critical - even for casual skiing - but available on both boats.

The new boat is a noticeably better trick or wakeboard wake. Worth the money there.

Either boat is ridiculously expensive. How important is the extra price? Either way you are getting a toy, not an investment. Which will give you more pleasure? Will the extra money cause a hardship? (Don't touch it if will!) Which fits your skiing uses (do your kids wakeboard?)?

Not worth the money if money's tight. Absolutely worth it if the money won't make a difference in the rest of your life.

Not sure even a new 200 is worth it if money's tight compared to a Gekko or a sweet used boat (MC 197 with ZO).

Enjoy the new boat - whichever you choose.

Eric

• Baller
As @Ilivetoski and @6balls said. If you're not a course skier and thus not a tournament skier, keep your 196. I have an '08 196 and for the past two years have alternated between that and a '17 200. My skiing doesn't change between the two. Oh yeah the 200 drives better, but skiing, not so much, at least not until you reach 38 off. I am a course and torunament skier, so I do have some credibility. Is your 196 in good condition, runs good? Does it have ZO? If it runs good but lacks ZO, put a few of your bucks in ZO and roll on. Your wallet will thank you.

• Baller
I'm just going to chime in regarding Zero Off. Personally I think it is entirely unnecessary for open water skiing. Perfect Pass is great for open water skiing and recent versions are very good for novice-level course skiing. IMHO, if you are an open-water skier with no interest in course skiing, there would be no absolutely no reason to get a new boat just to upgrade to ZO.

• Baller

@TallSkinnyGuy I disagree, ZO is so much more user friendly. I actually even use it for bare footing.

Course skier or not some people just like having the latest and greatest out there. It's like having a ZO6 Corvette, how many owners actually take their car to the track?

I can remember back when I was on a public lake up north many boaters bought Nautiques and MasterCrafts just for the cool factor

• Baller

@skierjp i'm with @TallSkinnyGuy. Ripped an open water set at 32 off this morning on PP. There would be no difference in my enjoyment on ZO in the open water particularly if I didn't hit a course or ski tourneys.

Course and tourneys yeah I want the ZO feel.

Barefooting...I want a hand driver. I throw down big body slides on corners etc...that's not a constant speed game.

• Supporting Member
I totally agree with @6balls on this one. @SSG223 your '08 196 has ZO, right? My '08 196 has ZO. For open water skiing I would wager you will not care. Sounds to me like you want a new boat. I get that. Get the one that fits your 'cool factor' requirements!

• Baller
Ski behind my 2004 ZO REV S 196, as well as the new Ski Nautique and the Nautique 200 at other sites. Cannot comment on wakes at lines longer than 28 off, but for open water skiing, any of the above is great. With respect to PP vs. ZO, really, for open water skiing, does 34.2 mph or 33.8 mph really matter? How do you know if it is 16.95 when free skiing? If you do not intend to ski tournaments, enjoy your current 196.

• Baller
I've only seen the new 200 at the boat show this spring. Seems to me they're going a little more basic with that boat to contrast the price of the new nautique. So if you want a little nicer/luxury, the 200 may not be what you are wanting. I would take a look at the prostar. I haven't been at 22off behind the new nautique, but I can say the prostar is a lot better at 22 off than the 200. There are going to be just as many opinions in favor of the prostar over the new nautique, so for the price its definately worth looking at.

Wow, this is great insight everyone, truly appreciate everyone taking the time to provide some insight. Going into this, the new Ski Nautique seemed a stretch for me, was struggling to justify the money, other than they are so damn cool looking. $20k won't break me, but I could also find a lot of other things to use the money for. :)

I have not demo'd a new MC, although the local dealer does have one, I think I may give that a try. At my age (52), just want to get one more boat that gets me by until I can't walk down to the dock anymore.

My '08 is probably plenty good for me, just a little rougher condition than I'd like. Part of this is just getting a newer boat with low hours so I can just go enjoy the boat and not have to worry about working on it.

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts, it means a lot to me that you took the time to review and share your insight and experience. Hope everyone is having a safe and happy holiday weekend.

Scott

• Baller

Where do you use the boat? If you use it for cruising with the family and enjoying the lake as well as free skiing then the 200 is a no brainer. The open bow on a 200 will win every time hands down. If you are on a private lake and only use the boat to ski maybe consider a new Ski Nautique.

I will personally never own a new Ski Nautique because of the closed bow but I use my boat about 50/50 family lake time and course skiing.

Happy shopping!

I love the new ski nautique. I ski @ a slower speed than 34 mph and I do not notice the wake. I do ski the course and have also skied behind the 200. I like the new nautique better. With all that being said, if you are not skiing the course, without any intention of changing, the 200 skis fine at 32 mph.

• Baller
If this is possibly to be your last boat, no question; get the 200 or the Ski Nautique. These are two of the best boats on the market. If money isn’t an object get the Ski, and/or if you need more storage space. If open bow is needed, get the 200. Last........... you only live once, get the best, pay more if needed because the dollars you spend will be long forgotten after your first ride with that big smile on your face.

• Baller
I would add to my previous post, in contrast to skihart (though maybe he's just answering the post of 200 vs 2019 ski nautique) We do a lot of boating beyond just skiing in our prostar (including...don't cringe....intracoastal/gulf of mexico cruising.) The roominess, layout, and overall ergonomics ....and most of all, the convertible bow (why make a choice between open or closed bow?).... make the prostar the perfect all around boat, while still being a 2nd to none ski tug. It even handles better in choppy waters than my previous 18' bow rider.

• Baller
@eleeski not sure where you get your information but the 2019 200 (club nautique) is doing well and pulling record tournaments, if your're over 6 foot your going to have issues sitting in the drivers seat absolutely no leg room even the 5.7 guys complain. The 200 is a better boat period you cant compare the two when it comes to tracking, both have the same ZO screen no micro tuners to worry about buy the 200 the resale value is way better

I'm a bit biased since I have the 2019 Ski Nautique promo but I now love the looks of it over the 200. If you can splurge for the 6.2 engine in the Ski Nautique or ProStar go for it, it is awesome especially for those at elevation like us in Utah. The 6.2 engine is not offered in the 2019 Nautique 200 for whatever reason...

• Baller
@SSG223 If this is your last boat and you are an open water skier there is no need to go for the 19 ski nautique. A new nautique with a 6.2L is well over 100k. Actually it’s about 130K. Even at high altitudes the 6l will work great with the 200. In fact many say the 6L works better in the 200 then the new DI motors because there has been many years of refinements. I happen to agree with. I have had over 40 nautiques been on the promo team well over 30 years. If you go with a prostar a 5.7 will work fine and save you 15K 6.2 upgrade Do your self a favor and test drive all 3. Make your choice from what feel best for you.