Awesome new 3-event site in Michigan

MISkier

• Baller_

Last Saturday, a new 3-event site in Michigan made its debut with the only 3-event L tournament in the State. Forest Lake, as the name implies, is literally cut out of a forest near South Haven, Michigan.

The tournament was well attended, the weather was beautiful, and the site skied well.

The owner is still finishing the 4 slip boathouse, which will have a cabana on the top with bathroom, shower, kitchen, bar, viewing room and windows/sliding glass doors overlooking the deck and the course.

Several skiers in attendance were trying to encourage him to build a second lake to host the State Championship or maybe even Regionals. There is enough land and maybe some interest in doing that.

On top of a great day of skiing, we were fortunate to be present for the induction of Rhonda Van Dyk into the Michigan Water Ski Association Hall of Fame. Rhonda is well known for her role with USA Adaptive Water Skiing and as team manager for the USA Disabled Water Ski team. Some great stories were shared about her longtime commitment to the team and the sport, which is even more impressive because Rhonda is not a skier.

Here is a shot of the site on the day of the tournament:

2prwtal02djt.jpg

Apparently, there are small cottages and a fifth wheel camper available to rent on the site for vacations. All in all, it's great to see more ski opportunities available in our State.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
I should also mention that Rhonda was the Chief Judge for the L tournament that day. She is not only involved with Adaptive Water Skiing, she is a Senior official for 3-event and participates in tournaments for all disciplines.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

Thanks for writing about Forest Lake! We are very excited about the chance to begin sharing the lake with the Ski Community. Check out our website for contact info for anyone wanting to ski or stay here at the Lake. www.myforestlake.com.

Wanting to following up on the comment about outside boats being permitted on the lake- the reason is that we avoid/control/prevent any invasive species in the lake (e.g. zebra mussels) - we want it to stay BEAUTIFUL! - that said, if there is a group that wanted to spend a few days in one of our beautiful rentals and ski while you're here, we can probably work something out - and supervise you bleaching your boat ;-)

• Baller_
There is new legislation in Michigan targeting the introduction of invasive species, there is a specific procedure to follow before launching a boat in to a body of water in the state and a fine if caught not following the law. Invasives are a serious problem for Michigan and there are government and private programs targeting the eradication of all types of invasive species. I can totally understand the concern of the lake owners as once invasives are introduced, they can be next to impossible to eradicate.