Tore my HO Venom front boot, need new boot suggestions

Tinkerinmatt

Ive been skiing on a HO Vengeance with Venom bindings for 15 years, and we had no soap yesterday and I ripped the entire heal off the boot trying to get in.

g00efobtpuf1.jpg

urb51bp5l6w4.jpg

I cant find Venom boots, and Im having trouble finding what looks like the next gen which is the Animal. Are there other boots that perform similarly, or that I should be looking at? I recreationally ski behind a Grady White Tournament 19, typically 15 off, and was supposed to go get pulled for my first time on a real course this coming weekend at Timberlake in VA but this has thrown a damper on that plan.

• Baller

It can be repaired, buy an Animal heel piece or even a D3 heel piece, size usually is the same from M to XL.

You can contact Wiley’s, they make rubber parts for animal and D3 boots.

Or you can buy the new 2019 HO Animal

• Baller

@Tinkerinmatt nothing against HO bindings, I had a Venom for years. The Radar Vector is wayyyyyyy more comfortable than Venom or Animal. Recreation or tournament skier everyone should have what is comfortable for them.

The only place I know in this area that stocks bindings Peace Love and Waterskiing, email Corey (h2oskijunkie at gmail . com). Tell him you are just getting into tournament skiing and you might get a discount.

As @skialex said, order the Venom parts from Wiley's pro shop and keep it as a spare.

• Baller

@Tinkerinmatt this is a signal to change bindings. Rubber has a tendency to degrade over the years, now it is not performing the way the boot was constructed for and it is a reason why it broke. And it is not that safe as it was.

From this point it would be wiser to change the entire boot.

Animal 18 would be seamless transition. 19 maybe even better because now it is pure rubber boot w/o static elements (static laces & almost not stretchy overlay)

I sent an email to Corey, I dont want a huge learning curve on a new boot since I don't get to ski very often these days. Lake Anna is a mess normally, and its rare to have someone with us who can tow a skiier. I had a driver yesterday, but no soap, and now no binding. Other than this coming weekend hoping to run a real course behind a real boat, theres only 1 or 2 other opportunities to ski I might get this year, and I want to enjoy them, not learn to ski again.

If anyone here is ever on Lake Anna and sees a Grady White Tournament 19 with ugly blue bottom paint and a guy driving with a toddler in his lap, wave me down, I always have my ski (just normally not a driver/spotter).

• Baller
I was in a Vengeance with Venoms for years. Great ski . I moved away from the venoms to D3 tfactors and never looked back. Better support easier in and out and more durable. You’ll love them . My venom front boot started digging into my ankle painfully (LFF) .

Appreciate the help guys, I reached out to @buechsr for another venom or parts to repair mine to finish the season. Lots going on with work and didn’t get to go out 2 weekends ago as planned. This past week stopped by Topsail on our way back from Charleston and hadn’t planned to ski, but stayed an extra day and went skiing, and we had the best water all year, no wind, and I didn’t have any of my own gear. Used my dad’s old man ski which is a slightly wider HO about 10 years old, don’t know the model but its white with a W shaped tip, and double venom XXL boots, the rear boot slightly torn, and he has both boots as far forward as they go. I really missed my ski. I want to repair my venom and swap boots onto a new real carbon ski next summer, rather than try both new boots and a new ski.

• Baller
@Tinkerinmatt - I was on the exact same ski and binding set up for many years. Agree with @smalor and @disland - move to tfactors. MUCH better bindings. As a LFF skier those Venoms rubbed my ankle the wrong way. Got painful. D3 tfactors are amazing for rubber bindings. So much better. I also did move up from the Vengeance, to an S2, now on Connelly GTR with the tfactors. So my advice since you've had it 15 years would be to upgrade the ski and bindings both. You'll really notice a difference.

• Baller
IMO, excellent choice. If your experience is anything like mine, the move from old rubber bindings to new modern bindings will have literally 0 downside and will be nothing but awesome. I didn't feel one bit like I had to re-learn to ski. I just felt like I had a really comfy binding that was easy to get into and wonderful. I hope you have the same experience.

• Baller
@Tinkerinmatt made a similar switch many years ago (Animals to Vectors). It took me a while to figure out how to adjust the laces, some one on this forum said “crank the lower lace as tight as you want. The upper lace should be snug but allow you to pull your foot out”. This made them feel like the Animals for snugness on my foot but the Vectors are SO much more comfortable. Haven’t looked at another binding since and am on my 3rd set of Vectors.

I skiied a few times so far and love these bindings. I got the XL even though I’m only a size 10.5 shoe, and I can get them on with a touch of soap and they still release when I fall.

We moved from VA to Hampstead NC, so I appreciate the offers for skiing on lake Anna but we’re down here now skiing on the intra coastal and the sound behind Topsail.

One thing I noticed more now with this boot, but always noticed a little, was the bruising happening on my rear shin. I don’t know if I’m cutting deeper or if I’m standing on the ski differently with this boot, but I need to ski a few more times and pay closer attention to what I’m doing with my rear leg.