MOB first release

vtmecheng

• Baller
Finally happened, I fell and had the release pop. Bad turn at 1 ball and I went down. No problems at all, didn't even realize it let go until I saw the ski floating across the course. Don't know if it would have resulted in injury but judging by the way I fell it probably wouldn't have felt good with my foot attached. Thanks @mmosley899! Worth every penny.

• Baller
How do you find the performance with the MOB? Do you notice any play or roll where the boot connects? Do you notice the height of the plate? The MOB system is interesting but I don't see a lot of skiers using it and I don't know of any pros using the system. Reflex seems to dominate despite the nasty injuries and pre release issues if not well setup or looked after. You would think the door is open for another system to grab market share but it does not appear to be happening.

• Baller
I'm really at beginner level and got the MOB after my second bad fall in two years, one breaking my ankle. I don't notice movement or the height but I haven't tried skiing without it since installation. I know there are people who ski short line on the system so it's likely not holding me back at 30 mph. I'm not a pro and injury is a big deal to me and my family.

I've been on the MOB system for about a year now and wouldn't trade it for anything. I use double Goode PowerShell boots and it's the only system I could find that I felt safe with after breaking my ankle. I've had a couple releases and I have complete confidence in it releasing when needed. I ski 34mph at 35'/38' off.

• Baller

I'll echo what @vtmecheng said. I justbought a used dual boot setup and got it installed last week. It takes a little elbow grease modifying the boots I have (radar carbitex). Standing on the back of the boat it feels like there is more play, but I don't notice it while skiing and skied right up to my personal best my first set (3@ 28off, 34mph) and have 4 sets on it now. I'm not sure I 'needed' it, but I had some extra cash this spring and figured if it saves me a trip to the ER, its paid for itself.

oul5hdem0boj.jpg

I had one fall where I thought it would have been nice for it to release since I tweaked my ankle slightly, but reviewing the video after it didn't seem all that bad, just hit my back on the water :)

dkd5ah9y3kag.gif

• Baller
@ozski the height off the ski is exactly the same as the Powershell system and some rubber boots. The side to side roll is similar to the Powershell system also, not so locked in or rigid as the Reflex system. You may not see as many skiers using the MOB system because it has not been marketed as long. But the system has been around for quite a while, I have been using it for years. While I am not a ‘pro’ skier, I have regularly skied into 39off 34mph using this system. So the system is not as likely to affect your performance as a broken ankle, knee or leg.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller
@Lars looks like you hit the buoy, then crushed into the ski before falling, the key thing is you did not end up in the ER! Let me know if you have any questions about using the system.

Mike's Overall Binding

• Baller

I fractured my ankle as well as suffered ligament damage in June of 2018 while skiing 35 off @ 34 mph. I was on double Vapor boots which I tended to make too tight. To this day I still don't know what happened. My ski buddies on the dock did not think the fall was that bad. I went to the MOB system using my Vapor boots to hopefully prevent another injury to my bad ankle. It took a little bit of adjustment only because the alignment of the double Vapor boots on the MOB system was slightly different then how I had them on the Radar sequence plate. I was having problems with my offside turn I did not normally have, but with a few fin adjustments I was able to solve that problem.

The height issue was never a problem. I am back skiing again this season and I am about 4-5 balls behind my average. But that can be attributed to the fact that my left ankle area ( I am LFF) is still not as strong as it was pre-injury. As my ankle is getting stronger my skiing has improved and I am more comfortable with the boot alignment. I have not released yet, and hope not to test it, but I am very happy with the MOB system and it is nice to be back skiing again.

• Baller
I have five sets on mine and am very happy with them. I previously had a couple crashes where I came partially out of my Vapor Carbitex double boots and tweaked my knee a little. I have never really trusted that they would release when needed and was running the tops very sloppy loose, which I am sure was reducing edge control. I decided that the cost of the MOB system was significantly less than my health insurance deductible and used that as justification. I can now run my boots tight at the top and ski with confidence instead of tentative. I have been able to ski right up to my recent average with them. As a side note, I tried to convert to Reflex Supershell 2's last year and literally couldn't get up on the ski. My problem, not the bindings as I think they caused the ski to cant at an angle.)

• Baller
@OldboyII most of the parts are made of polycarbonate, the mounting plate is anodized aluminum, the spring and screws are stainless steel. Rinsing in fresh water would help prevent corrosion.

Mike's Overall Binding

• Baller
@Lars I had a fall very similar to that a couple years ago and ended up with a bad sprained ankle. Mob would have saved it as the reason it sprained was because my foot got stuck half way out of my animal binding.

• Baller
Had my 5th release today on my MOB.... Nasty OFT. My right eye hurts (surprised no busted vessels in my eye,) rest of the right side of my face hurts, right shoulder and elbow hurts, but legs and ankle are all good. Had quite a swim back to my ski just over center line....I almost made it out to the buoy without my ski. While I'm a little sore, I did still ski a couple more passes. Didn't feel a thing on my boot/MOB leg. Had a couple other falls earlier in the day that didn't release....didn't need to. I feel confident in its releasing when needed, but not pre-releasing.

• Baller
I may have posted too soon. On the 17th I posted I had not released from the MOB system yet. Well that changed on my last set of the weekend yesterday. Double release and a slight sprain on my bad ankle. Don't know what happened, I think I was blinded by the bright orange Ball of Spray going by on the lake next door.

• Baller
Second release today. No idea how I fell going around 3 ball but I went forward just when the ski started to swing out. Ski kicked up behind me and smacked into the water. POP and I was ok. Strange and no one could tell what happened, it was a great run up to then. Anyway, I clipped back in and kept going. While it's not good to have falls like that, I'm really trying not to, thank goodness I have the MOB system.