Collegiate Waterski Programs

Texas6

• Baller
I have a 16 year old Boys 3 tournament skier who is evaluating colleges on both the value of the education, and the strength of the ski team. I am curious which schools provide the best experience for student athlete skiers? Or if any schools provide student athlete type benefits to high level collegiate skiers?

• Baller

There are only a couple programs that cater to skiers. All the other teams are the product of the effort and drive of the kids. Running the team might be the most valuable lesson learned in college. Get him in a school that fits him. He will create the ski team.

Eric

• Baller

Lots of great programs in the northern states at some excellent schools like University of Wisconsin, University of Michigan, etc. Short seasons though and skiing is a club sport, meaning no scholarships and not a ton of support from the schools.

Still, those were the best times of my life. Such a good time.

• Baller_

The vast majority of collegiate teams focus on fun vs really serious competition. If you look at the few schools that offer scholarships, coaches or trainers, such as ULL, ULM or Bama, if you're not a top rate skier you will have trouble getting water time. Also the scholarships and benefits at those out of state schools will barely make the cost even against a good in state Texas school.

Unless you have a really high end skier, the focus should be on education, environment, then ski team.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

Texas A&M Water Ski is now offering scholarships, all you have to do is submit an application. Feel free to PM or email me, and I would be glad to give you some more information, and answer any questions you might have.

• Baller
ULL, ULM, BAMA, Rollins, Florida Southern likely the only ones offering "student athlete" type accommodations, but in other ways don't offer as much, no knock on those schools. As others have stated, I'd find the right school and team fit for your son, not seek specifically for accommodations.

• Baller
I did the collegiate ski thing for 2 years. It was a lot of fun but i ended up transferring to another school that didn’t have a team, & for me personally that was the best decision I could have made. Just wasn’t for me, but that said it’s a great way to get involved in a group & have an instant group of friends

• Baller

Ski team was critical to my collegiate experience...all of my best friends are ski teamers...short of another guy I met at AWSA tourneys and later became my primary ski partner.

Having said that...I was going to in-state school at the U regardless and it still was the right choice. Great school and in-state a great value. If you can meld a ski team and a school with the right programs, the right size, the right feel, and the right cost that's great but consider the order. With all due respect we are not talking D1 football recruit for full ride and possible high comp career.

My guess is that is your line of thinking...is there a great school, with the right programs, at the right cost, that happens to have a decent ski team. Our ski team was brand new, a club sport, not that great, but overall I had a great time. What's better than 19 years old and access to a ski boat and some buoys?