Denali C75 Review

Horton

• Administrators

untitled 133

The C75 is the third ski from Denali and is the first ski from Denali that is legitimately user-friendly enough for the mainstream tournament water skier. The C75 looks strange with its low rocker tip, unique asymmetrical fin, and extreme tunnel shape. The ski rides in the water as unusually as it looks.

General Feel

The attributes of this ski are a clear departure from any other ski in the sport. The C75 is stable in most ways except that it provides significantly more tail slide than expected. This may sound, bad but the result is angle.

Off Side Turns

Off Side turns on the C75 are the most distinctive attribute of the ski. Ridden casually with reasonably centered weight distribution, the tip of the ski pulls back to the centerline and the turns are smooth and flowing.

When the skier increases their aggression the ski shows its uniqueness. The ski flows out to apex calmly and then when pushed the tail slides around very quickly to establish an unexpected amount of angle. With any other ski this amount of tail slide would end in a fall but the C75 stays in the water and heads back to the wakes. This radical finish to the Off Side turn may scare skiers until they realize that the tail is not going to blow out. The feel is unusual, but the result is consistent angle leaving the ball.

untitled 119

On Side Turns

On side turn are practically foolproof. The tail of the ski slides significantly at the apex of on side but it is not nearly as noticeable as it is at off side. This tailslide is likely a major contributor to the consistency of the on side turn.

Ball to the wakes

Because of the aggressive turns, the voyage from the ball to the wakes can be a little frantic. If the skier can moderate their lean intensity and or temper their angle leaving the ball, things will calm down. Either way, the ski makes speed quickly and holds direction.

untitled 311

Wakes to the ball

The C75 is stable both side to side and tip to tail. What this means is that the ski provides a stable platform to stand on as the ski casts out to the ball line. The ski consistently achieves width and space without requiring special skills or strength.

untitled 12

Quirks & Notes

Throughout the test period, I rode the C75 with the same settings.

The bulk of this review was written describing how the ski performs at/or near my personal limit. If the review was re-written describing my opening passes it would include terms like “Dependable, Flowing, Arcing & Calm”. The C75 is likely as suited for 28 off as it is for 39 off and beyond.

Conclusion

The C75 is radical but in all the right ways.

When the skier gets to their hardest pass and instinct replaces logic is when the C75 shines the brightest. Somehow the ski just stays with you and gets you farther down the lake than expected.

Best ski ever? There is no such thing but the Denali C75 is unquestionably on my very short list of favorite skis of all time.

untitled 330

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller_
I think you have really captured the essence and, is some case, near-exact comments I hear directly about this ski and its predecessor. I would say it's an accurate review.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
As MISkier says, it seems like you finally got it regarding the feel of Denali skis. Have not ridden that one (yet) but 4 others and it's basically always the same feel. I still love their first one and still ride it from time to time. The only part I disagree with is your first line. The rest captures it. Especially just accepting they do things that other skis just can't where you'd be swimming. Nice review!

• Baller

I'm 200'ish when suited up. Ski at 34 mph. Riding a large. Ski feels plenty big, plenty of glide and support. The massive tunnel gives tons of lift and even though the ski is "short" you run the bindings pretty far back, so there's plenty of ski out in front of you. On more traditional skis I'd be at 29.5 to 30.0 binding placement. On this ski I'm right around 28.0" +/- 0.5" depending on whatever settings we're playing with. I can plant my front foot and never really feel like I'm going to stuff the tip.

I had to work harder on the c65. The even older versions used to make my elbows sore. The c75 is fairly eaisy on the body, no sore elbows. That being said, it'll push as hard as you want to go mostly in terms of how much angle you want to take. I think this is a lower drag ski overall, you just add or remove wing angle to suit.

• Administrators

@skiboyny it depends on how you define fast. The ski is more physical work than other skis but it consistently gets wide and early.

Yesterday I tried some settings intended to make the ski less work. It worked except that it took away from the off side. I am perfectly happy working a little harder if I get extra balls.

Deep in the water? yes

• Baller
@horton thanks for the response. It seems that the deeper riding skis are the most stable, maybe predictable, at the expense of speed, and take extra work. I seem to prefer them, but I think the next real breakthrough in skis will be when someone someone develops one that breaks that trend. Maybe asking too much...

• Baller
@skiboyny I can assure you this ski build speed like no other. It's like being shot out of a cannon into the wakes. Reviewing any of the video that's been posted will confirm that. The Adams have explained the unique shape of the tunnel is what gives the c75 the lift needed to accelerate the way it does.

• Baller
@Skierx It look great on videos no doubt. @horton I think I define fast, as how much effort it takes to make the speed, and you have answered that. As I said I prefer a deeper riding ski but it does seem to take a lot of physical effort to make speed. Higher riding skis are "faster" because they take less physical effort to make the speed. They also tend to be a bit more "nervous" and perhaps less stable. In my limited experience anyway. Trade offs always.

• Baller

@Horton, nice review. Thanks for taking the time to get it right, much like the Adams have done with the ski. That helps soothe and stoke the fires of those of us waiting for ours. Serious question, why the same settings throughout? Did the settings recommended to you work from the start or were you trying to accomplish something else? I was at Trophy in June and Caldwell was sharing insights on what they had done and how frequently and drastically they would change settings. One might infer that they would have you tweak settings as you began riding it.

Light-hearted question, are you trying to check out how big your spray is in the last picture?

• Baller

I’m 200 pounds and lucky enough to get my hands on one a few days ago. I’m 6’-4” and was skiing on a 68” 2017 Radar Vapor a week ago. The Denali never felt small to me. My second pass was ½ buoy off my personal best (3 @ 35). It also included the smoothest 28 off pass I believe I’ve ever had. For me, the big difference was the roll of the ski at the buoy and the way it finished the turn. It felt incredibly stable and I could just take off across the wake (you know, just like Adam does). It is a super fun ski to rip through the course and I can’t wait to get some more sets in.

Huge thanks to Adam for all the thought and R&D that went into this ski. The C75 is truly a testament to his hard work and dedication to the sport. I've never seen anything like it, and I've been around a lot of crazy water skiers throughout my life.

• Administrators
@BlueSki the original settings worked and the one time I did venture away from them everything went sideways. If a ski works why would I want to screw it up by moving fin & bindings around.

• Baller

I picked up a medium c75 a few days ago and had the pleasure of having Adam Caldwell set it up with me at Trophy. We tried some crazy fin and binding settings and made some interesting discoveries due to the fact that I run double black Reflex hard shells. I’m 175 lbs and riding a medium c75, and in the past I have been a fan of longer skis only because of the reduced effort needed to get across the wakes fast, but this 65” with a good setting flies behind the boat with great outbound speed and trajectory. There were some moments where I found myself coming into the ball at a new trajectory or angle that I had not done previously, and it was a little foreign until I felt the ski engage the turn effortlessly and round the buoy easier than usual and finishing with manageable angle. Most of my passes were in the 32 and 35 off range at 34 mph, but I am looking forward to what it will do at 38 off when I get back on our lake.

• Baller

I usually start the year at 190lbs and end around 175lbs. I am skiing @ 34 mph and that all works for now. I Need more info on skier in my weight range skiing @ 32mph on the med and large size skis.

Currently on a C 65 and replacing it with a C 75 hopefully sometime soon. I am having a difficult time deciding between the med or go to the large size for future speed reduction.

Thank You for replies in advance.

So I have been waiting patiently to get on one of these. Unfortunately the recommended size for me is a small. A local skier received his med yesterday. I wag'd the setup for him with the provided instructions and threw him in the lake.

This guy has been struggling with 32s this year and out of the box I pulled him through 35 on his second attempt! I don't think he has ever run 35 at my site. Not only did he pick up a pass but he was able to recover from some big mistakes and still get through a pass.

Pretty excited to get on one of these things!

• Administrators
@Stathis Ventouris I hit 3 ball @ 39 pretty often these days. My average practice score is up 3 or 4 balls. My actual PB has not moved.

• Baller
@horton yeah...says you are skiing at your best scores more consistently...that's the bomb. Would suggest more often gonna be happy with tourney scores, too, even if not necessarily a PB...puts you in the hunt more often.