Trick release for ski lines?

TravisNW

• Baller
I’m wondering how many first hand experiences people have had with trick skiers getting caught in the rope during ski lines? I regularly ski with one other person so having a release person is generally not an option, given that I still need to work on developing new tricks namely In this case SLO. Thoughts?

• Baller

Ski lines are not particularly dangerous tricks. It's common to not make it over the line - you just unwrap the opposite direction and hopefully don't even fall. Another common problem is landing on top of the rope. These are a bit harder to ski away from but that's the reasonable goal. Not exceptionally dangerous but rope burn and a bruise aren't rare.

Still, anytime you are generating so much advance on the boat and slack there's risk of getting tangled in the rope. Add the difficulty of the trick to the big amplitude needed and the risk is even more.

With that said, I'll happily practice ski lines without a release. It's nothing like toes where a release is pretty critical. Weird falls will generate the problems. Note that you will take more weird falls when you are learning. I always have a release for beginners - but I've never really needed it.

Stan always has a competent release person for ski lines.

I use a Masterline split pin release when I'm driving and releasing. I have the trigger rope adjusted for length so that I can hook my toes in the end loop. A reactive push pulls the trigger. My truck has a clutch so it's pretty natural to trip the trigger quickly.

Other setups that work connect the trigger rope to a low mirror. It's easy to find it to push it enough to get a quick release. Or just to have it handy to grab it and hold it for the release.

You need speed control, a good mirror and some practice to release while driving. I can't recommend it but I have thousands of hours driving and releasing without serious injuries - as both the skier and pinner. A competent driver releasing can be safer than an inexperienced release person directly watching..

Eric

• Baller_

Eric’s comments are good. A release when learning ski lines is a good idea. Getting seriously tangled is unusual but landing on top of the rope is very common. The handle will get yanked underneath and can result in some scratches and bruises

I pin and drive all the time with a rope release but I've been doing it a long time. I use 1 wrap for toes and 2 wraps for learning ski lines.

Having your driver use the rope release may give you some peace of mind and no real drawback as long as you both understand never complain about an early release.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding