Will the new app for competition boat driving stop all the tittle tattle ?

Stevie Boy

• Baller

Not sure but I believe it is a splash eye app or similar which is likely to become the norm for competition drivers, the app gives live feedback to the tower on alignment and if the pass was within tolerance, Judges will also be able to feedback to the driver if he is driving bias to one side, the opportunity to move the boat to assist the skier will be drastically reduced and maybe not possible in the slightest way.

Interesting to see how this one is going to pan out, how many re-runs can you do in a day ?

I also beleive that the IWWSF are checking lines for tolerance number of strands, amount of stretch etc and providing them to organisations around the world for Top Competitions.

• Baller

I think it would be great to have. Honestly I think it will be a better tool to get sub par drivers to step up their game more than catch a few who are attempting to "bend the rules".

I see a lot more of the former than the latter.

• Baller

You guys are likely talking about two different things. There is a new boat tracking app coming soon which is not directly connected with Splasheye. I don’t know a great deal about it but it has been used in a few European tournaments and it give instant visual feedback and measurements of the boat path both on shore and in the boat.

It’s called Sure Path. It’s GPS based not video based and since it uses a base station to calculate out the offset it’s extremely accurate.

• Baller

Many thanks for infos @klindy .

Wasn't sure what we were discussing here...

Do you know if it was use at San Gervasio,Botaski or elsewhere? You know,those suspicious European Tournaments according to some... ;)

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
@Andre SplashEyeDrive was used at Botaski, San Gervasio and Mapple ProAm to do Live manual tracking. As @klindy says the GPS systems (I have heard there are a few different ones coming out) are nothing to do with SplashEye. No idea on the price points for the GPS systems but I can predict that the FREE SplashEye software will remain the cheapest tracking solution ?

• Baller

www.splasheye.com/splasheyedrive

Free manual tracking.

Use your standard end course camera with the same $200 USB capture device that you use for SplashEye Mobile Jump or SplashEye Live Trick Timing.

After the pass the judge takes 10 seconds to track the boat at each buoy. Simple and quick. Also allows you to open and track end course video files for review/record checking.

After each pass you get video and PDF records of the pass by skier name.

Paid upgrades to automatic tracking coming soon.

GPS Tracking is absolutely the future. In the meantime a very small amount of effort allows you to ensure every pass is in tolerance.

• Baller

@klindy thanks for putting us all in the picture , I wasn,t sure but splash eye must have been mentioned in the conversation, Sure Path is the one that the officials have been working with, as said by others great training aid for those who want to give the skier a good pull and not just drive the boat.

As above splasheye are working on gps system.

• Baller

@UWSkier GPS systems have a built in error. If you’re only interested in the differential of point A and point B (like speed control) that’s good enough. If you want to use GPS to measure the real distance from one point to another you need to know what that offset is.

One way requires military clearance for the GPS offset. The other civilian route is to install a base station in known location (surveyed). Essentially it knows where the same satellites are your GPS system is using and it knows where the base station is located relative to you’re device. With that information you can calculate the offset.

Layman explanation but basically that explains it.

• Baller
@klindy that is correct for GPS using satellites. Another option is to use a local based system where sensors are located on the shore and one in the boat. The proximity makes accuracy no problem for something like this. Negative is that the system would have to be set up for each site.