New Goode? Carbon fiber core?

Jordan

• Baller

@MS. I sense sarcasm.

I really want to see Bob Marley do a bit on ski manufacturing.

It’s so crazy. They go wide now back to narrow.

Smaller bevels and back to buggier bevels.

More rocker. Oh wait. We need a bigger flat spot and less rocker.

It’s out of control. I know all these things work together but we really have come full circle on shape at least.

No doubt materials have come a long way but come on man.

• Baller
For years I resisted buying a Goode out of sheer principle. Too much money, to fragile whatever. All I know is I've dock started a lot of 38 + skiers (twice at nationals) and Goode is extremely well represented. I have an 6 year old XT that I've been trying to replace forever and so far nothing has stuck. Well........I did get that email from Denali last week asking for a final payment :)

• Supporting Member

It's always fun to make fun of the industry leader, and especially now that I am a Denali disciple. But we also shouldn't forget that Goode has made some of the best performing skis available for decades. I tip my hat to them, even as I cross my fingers for the c-75 to leave all other skis in the dust ;).

One reason they've been so successful is that they constantly play with materials. This carbon core could be anything from a gimmick to the soon-to-be industry standard. But we'd never find out without somebody trying it -- and increasing the price to make it possible.

And finally, almost everyone reading this would spend $3000 in a heartbeat if you knew you'd get +2 buoys. Might as well stop pretending you wouldn't. (I am most definitely NOT saying you'll get +2 buoys with that ski. I know nothing about it at all. Merely making a point about our collective price insensitivity.)

• Baller
Does anyone actually know why all of the current XTRs, Revolution, and now this Revocc use the fin blocks that have the cutoff forward edge? Is Goode just using up excess inventory from Rev 6 production when the forward edge of the fin block was cut to accommodate the “spine” on the tail of the ski?

• Baller
Wow, I'm new to this forum and surprised of all of the negative comments towards Goode. If this is how we treat people and companies that support us no wonder we are having trouble growing the sport. Goode has been a big supporter of water skiing for many years, always innovating to push the sport forward. The first Goode 9100 was a true game changer by all accounts, took others 10+ years to catch back up. Who knows if this new carbon fiber core is a game changer but kudos for the continued innovation. I agree the price is way up there, the free market economy will ultimately decide what it is worth.

• Baller
I paid a grand or more for my 9100 back in the 90's. I guess this ski is just keeping up with inflation. However the competition now IMHO is way better than it was back then, making it much harder to shell out the cash (for me).

• Baller
Dairy farmers also support their cows while they milk them. Of course Goode suupports the sport but lets not get confused about the why, its good business. We want better equipment and that comes at a price, plenty of people will pay and not think twice.

• Baller

Goode has been a major innovator in ski design. Many of his advances have filtered into other skis. His skis do perform extremely well with a proven track record.

I have no idea what a "carbon core" is. But I'm sure details will eventually get out. I won't be surprised if it is a way to make the ski stronger, lighter, tougher with more flex control. Things that can incrementally make one ski better. Tech like that costs more. Time will determine if it's worth the money.

I'm intrigued by the new ski. And the new technology!

Eric

• Baller

Cannot find any description what carbon core is. Foam with carbon fibres? What foam? What sort of fibres? Ratio of filling? Etc..

As long as no answers to these simple questions it is just marketing slogan and offer to believe in it.

Surely there is a certain amount of RnD in it. Why not to share this basic info to potential customers? Otherwise it would be a black cat it the black room - you just have to trust that cat is there ))

• Baller
Wakeboards have use carbon/foam cores for years. Basically it is a PCI foam with fine carbon rods pressed through it in an offset pattern at about 1" Like a polkadot pattern. Definitely was a game changer in wakeboards.

• Baller
  • Baller

My PVC cores need to be scribed to optimize the bond. Sometimes I get too aggressive and cut all the way through the core. I experimented with putting cloth (either carbon or glass) in auspicious places to bond top to bottom. This process actually really helped with the durability of the old urethane cores (I've been doing it for a while - urethane cores didn't last for me without the cloth through the core).

It was a difficult process which was quite time consuming. My process was not particularly material intensive but took a lot of critical labor. Expensive if I was selling.

@Brewski 's pre manufactured core could be quite expensive. Might be worse if it was part of the build. Not defending ridiculous prices but I can see where they came from.

The core could be a real improvement.

How much does each buoy cost us?

Eric

• Baller
@Golfguy - I think what is refreshing is that it is clear it can be done for less. Blank the Syndicate Omni is 1099 - which to me basically means that an all carbon waterski "syndicate build" can be executed upon and sold for 1100 bucks. The next 1K I think is basically on your discretion.

• Baller_

Ultimately the market will decide the price point, the problem is addicts will/do overspent (a lot) to get 'our' fix :-)

ROI = price / buoy - how much is it worth ... obviously 3 zeros worth.

Consider the ski a much better ROI than ZO!

• Baller

@Golfguy a full set of PXGs including wedges could run well north of 5K.

If I got to demo it and it was both easier on my body and let me run 2-4 more buoys consistently I would pay the freight for the new Goode. Right now easier on my body is important.