Tournament classifications for this dummy

Orlando76

• Baller
I don’t participate in tournaments because I’m a bad skier and I know the guy beside me can out ski me. I’ve watched many tournaments in person But with Nationals going on I gotta admit, I have no clue what each category skier and different sanctioned events mean. Is there an idiot cheat sheet that breaks down M4 vs M7 skier and what a class XYZ tournament is? I hadn’t found it on AWSA.

• Baller

@Orlando76 "Class" is just the level of sanction: F= fun, less judges and wider tolences

C= majority of tournaments

L= on the World Ranking List

E= I'm not really sure anymore

R= able to set World Records. Highest level judges, drivers, tech control, etc

• Baller

Age group speeds are MAX speeds. Until you reach max speed, you would ski at 15 off (or even long line) and whatever speed you can . The chart shows how many points you get for each speed/line length combination. It doesn't really apply for good skiers as they are skiing at max speed. Last year I was doing opening passes at 26mph, then up to 28, then 30, 32. I guess a recent rule change is that you don't have to go to max speed and you can shorten. I am staying at 32 (even tho max speed for M4 is 34mph) and I have started shortening. I can get 72 points for completing a 22off pass at 32mph. (or my best so far is 67 for 1 ball at 22 off, 32mph.) Then the 3 best scores (from the best round from any tournament) go to your overall score, that then goes to your national ranking, and qualification for regionals and nationals.

There's no such thing as not being good enough to ski in tournaments. Often there are classes you may be the only skier, or there could be 4-5, doesn't matter if you win or have a chance to win, its something fun to do.....ski at different sites and meet other skiers.

• Baller

@Drago Are all L tournaments R? Or is that part of the whole “Euro” tournament bias? I know if it’s R, there’s end course cameras and all sorts of verification capability. It would make sense that an “Elite List” tournament should have those same controls or you get the opportunity for some softball pitching in the major league.

Also, @Orlando76 if you ski a tournament you REALLY MUST choose an opening pass you WILL RUN. Here’s why: you run -22 @ 32 mph every single time, no matter how bad you ski. That score there gets you a tournament base score of 72. If you ALMOST always run -22 @ 34 mph so you choose to make that your opener and you don’t make it, say getting only 4 buoys, you didn’t complete a single pass so you get no complete pass score. You get scored 4. As if you had made 4 buoys @ longline @ 15.5 mph.

Remember, you must run your opener to get all the buoys below it (72 vs 4).

• Baller

@aupatking usually Ls are Rs, but they don't have to be.

In the old days, some (many) pro tours were stuffed in business park and city park lakes and only C tournaments.

I can't defend nor endorse euro tournaments bias

• Baller_
“L” you can set a national record (any nation) and your score goes on the World list. You need a Pan Am judge and mostly senior judges. In an “R” you can set a World Record, you need all seniors and a Pan Am. You need to have a camera in the boat. In an “E” you can set a national record, you need mostly seniors but no Pan Am. “E” is what your “L” becomes if your Pan Am doesn’t show up. CELR scores all go on the US ranking list. “F” scores do not, at least not above level 5.

Lpskier