Distance From Center – Episode 26 ( 2019 IWWF World Waterski Open Championships )

Horton

• Baller

Agreed, I feel there is so much more to be said but it seems some people are understandably a little reluctant to share their feelings. On the positive side, the webcast was good, commentary was entertaining (if a little chaotic but that poor guy was up there for hours), the event timings were pretty solid and the boats didn't break down. Running over the line made me chuckle though.

On the flip side, there seemed to be more injuries than usual, the jump events looked scary and there was zero atmosphere from the non existent crowd. Why bid for the event if you can't guarantee spectators? Perhaps it was an exercise for the Malaysian government tourism board? I was also disappointed to see the judges get Nates gates call wrong, I mean this is the world championships!

Having said all that, whilst gutted our Fred missed out, I was mega chuffed to see the really likeable, tough and talented Joel Howley take the slalom gold. Hope he makes a good recovery, but anyone else wonder why he bindings didn't release?

• Baller

I just watched some of the finals and the water conditions were rough. There was no wind but there were consistent rollers/backwash through the course. I would get it if there were thousands of people watching but there wasn't anyone in the crowd either.

Thrilled to see @JoelHowley win. I met him at Coble's Ski School the first year he came over to the states and skied with him a couple of times after that and there isn't a nicer guy and he is a great coach. He appears to be doing a bunch with coaching at home and throughout Asia as well which is great to see particularly working with kids in Australia.

• Baller
Something that wasn’t mentioned was how long it was between the skiers round and the runoff for the men’s finals, I believe the 3 finalist were the 3 of the first 5 skiers to ski in the finals, so they probably sat there for nearly an hour before coming off the dock cold at 10.75

• Administrators
@DavidN the design of the show is to make a compelling without making it too long. Both Trent and I firmly believe that if it's too long nobody's going to watch. My YouTube statistics support that premise.