10'6"

Than_Bogan

• Supporting Member

There's been a little interest here in following my learn-to-PV-as-an-old-man adventure, so here's the latest milestone. This was in a very informal meet on Saturday, and the first time I ever cleared 10'6". There are a million terrible things about this jump, and I continue to believe that someday I will go 12', but nevertheless this is my best so far.

• Supporting Member

This particular milestone is also interesting for two reasons:

1) It ties Natick's girls record. So now it will be even more awesome when Mandy passes me!

2) It is (or was last season anyhow) the qualifying height for boys into the state tournament. PV is so weak in MA that I could qualify (with a fake birth certificate...), even though I'd have zero chance to qualify in the events I actually know how to do (HJ and TJ).

• Supporting Member

@jimbrake Only possibility was to get better :). It's rough watching myself because I'm significantly more advanced in my coaching knowledge than my vaulting skill. But the silver lining is that when you have piles of things that could be improved, it keeps open the possibility of getting much better someday. And I have crossed an interesting milestone recently where I can check off each of the major components. I'm not really "missing" any core elements now -- I just range from "pretty bad" to "hilariously terrible" at each of them!

@BlueSki That's a hard question to answer because my skiing time is somewhat down and skiing performance is significantly down this season. BUT, I really don't think vaulting has anything to do with that, and actually it brings some cross-training value. Vault has almost never directly superseded ski time. The things holding me back from or on the water have to do with my physical health, and coincidentally are impacting my skiing a lot, but my vaulting much less so.

• Baller

Nice job Mr. Bogan. I have not skied much this year, either...but the times I have I know it's still there in the tank. I'm sure it is for you as well.

12 feet here you come...it looks like you cleared that one with a little room to spare.

• Supporting Member
@GaryWilkinson I still love the high jump. While my best a lifetime ago was 6'1" (1.85m so ha!), I've had a blast doing the event for my and the kids' entertainment, and even competed in the MIT alumni meet last winter -- against the women! I'm still pretty consistent over 5', but it gets sketchy after that. Think I cleared 5'3" once as an old man. I know I tried 5'6" a bunch of times one day and didn't manage to get over it, even though that was my opening height once!