2020 Malibu VTX

bigskieridaho

• Baller
While I love the idea of a cross over boat, I just don't see how you can have a boat that skis halfway decent and you can make a good surf wave. The two things require the exact opposite in a boat. Awesome if it can be done but I must say I'm skeptical. My experience is you end up with a boat that is marginal at everything and is great at nothing.

• Baller
That's generally the case. If I were a betting man, I'd guess this the VTX skis much better than it surfs/wakeboards...the opposite of what the other brand crossovers provide. The Nautique GS20 slalom wake is a joke (for example).

We have a 2013 VTX for public lake fun. Back then you could get the boat with either a wakeboard hull, or diamond slalom hull, ours, which was the same hull as lxi. It surfs amazing, the kids pile in because they claim it is better than the other "surf" boats that they have access to. We slalom occasionally behind it, ( 3 times for me this year ) 1/2 tank of gas, fill the bow tank,(yep, it has a bow tank, the open bow is flat, no foot well) -28 or-32 32 mph or faster, puts you infront of the hump. every time I slalom I am shocked how good it is, of course I am not in a course(ha ha)

Would NOT want to go slower or longer, big bad wake lurking back there. Also very wide.

Is it a replacement for DD? no. don't even think it.

Do you+ your wife + kids want to bring friends on weekends,? 9 people no problem, built in cooler, built in trash can, racks for 3 boards+wake foil+ slalom for kids friends and my trick ski, and 2 slaloms fit under seat. Crank Santana and have fun.

Funny I was just looking at Malibu's website last night wondering if they still make it with 2 separate hulls, ours is holding its value and all the electronics scare the hell out of me just thinking about the problems if they start acting up: 4 tanks fill and drain switches, level monitors, wedge, surf gates, speed control, etc.

Just watched the full video's... she is absolutely at -28 or -32. IF i was considering to use the boat to start / teach slalom, definatly take someone with you who skis at longer lines and slower speeds on the test drive. If still a go, I would take out EVERYTHING non essential when slalom skiing. Front bow cushions, 10 life jackets, cooler, take all boards off racks. all that storage they are bragging about fills up, I take tons of *stuff* out all the time, it tends to accumulate when you have the room. Also wake at trick speed is very wide, that motor in the back drops the rear end of the boat going slow. but, like I said above, ours surfs awesome, love the room, can handle slalom if you get the urge, also is reasonably easy to tow, and fits in the garage with the tower folded.

• Baller

Didn't malibu get rid of the option to put a diamond hull on the vtx 20 a couple years ago?

This is really cool that they are thinking about skiing enough to bring back supposedly a new and improved diamond hull.

I'll never own one, but if it means that somebody out there might have a chance at a better ski wake than they otherwise could have, then it's a total win for the waterskiing world.

I used to own a 2016 VTX and traded it for a Nautique GS20. The GS is MUCH better at everything, including slalom, and especially Surfing, but still not anywhere near a direct drive ski boat. I picked up a like new one owner 91 Ski Nautique closed bow and now have the best of both worlds. The morning slalom crew is much happier now when it’s my turn to drive. For those that have to stay with only one boat, this new VTX might be it, but my experience is these crossovers are like all-season tires in heavy snow and ice...you can only fight physics so much.

• Baller

Pretty sure it's the only V drive available on a three event hull. Malibu has a history of producing some of the best skiing V drives going back to 01. Last VTX wasn't as well regarded for slalom but it seems like Malibu has listened to their customer base on this one. There are still a ton of recreational skiers around. Seems like I see more new skiers on our lake every year trying to ski behind surf tubs. Good sign

It's not a TXi but I'm happy to see a 15 minute product video for a V drive featuring Regina and a lot of shots of people crossing the wake with intensity without getting 2' of air like you see in other "crossover" marketing vids.

• Baller
I had a 2010 VTX, it skied pretty at 32 or faster, in the course it didn’t track real well, but it’s a V drive. The storage and interior were great, and it the wakeboard wake was awesome. But I ended up getting a new boat because I always wanted to ski behind friends DD boats and I never put any hours on it. I have a SN 200 OB now and LOVE it, I get way more use out of it.

I agree on the Malibu V Drives having a long history of great 3 event wakes, but, the 2016 -2019 VTX was not part of that great history in my opinion. It was the worst boat I ever owned. Slalom wake had an enormous divot on the off side. Re-propping helped a little but then it would not push the plug and play surf sacks at altitude so I constantly had to change props depending on what I wanted to do. The water was rough the day I demoed it and unfortunately I did not notice the issue. Surf wake was pretty good but the bow was so far out of the water I had to stand to see while driving. Also LOTS of quality issues and dealer visits interrupting summer fun. As I mentioned above, a dedicated boat for each sport has been awesome, but if I had to go back to one, I would seriously look at this new VTX. I would demo at all line lengths in smooth water before signing—And wait a couple of years to see if there are any issues with those new in-house motors. If you “read” between the lines in the video they almost are apologizing for the previous gen boat. If the new one is that much better, maybe apology accepted one day.