Joel's broken foot @ Worlds

Lars

• Baller_

I think the point is that is a REALLY unusual type of break regardless of releasable/non-releasable binding. Of all the lower leg injuries posted here and others I know of, this is the only one I'm aware of with bones broken in that part of the foot.

Yes brutal and unfortunate, but I think it can be chalked up to a freak fall that nothing could have realistically prevented. When a World title is on the line, any athlete of that caliber will pull out all the stops.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Administrators
@Bruce_Butterfield I do not see how any of the currently available release systems(set up correctly) would not have prevented Joel's injuries.

• Baller_
@Horton yes, non releasable bootS 2001-2016. To make matters worse, I built everything I rode on. 15 years ZERO injury. But none of what I rode looked anything like Joel's. I'd never recommend to anyone to do what I did over the years. But I don't think my lack of injury over that big of a time span was just dumb luck.

• Baller

Happy to see it wasn't a joint injury, those metatarsal breaks should be easier to rehab than tib/fib.

@John Brooks I'm not sure prop wash is a great indicator of boat path. At the end of the lake when I turn the boat and drop and look back down course, the prop wash is easily 10 feet to the left of the boat guides.

• Baller
I went back and watched the video in slow motion. It looks like the heel of the boot separated from the ski and the boot folded in the middle. Its on the last roll when he's upside down with the ski tip in the water.