Recent Sales of Private Water Ski Lakes

daizuss

Hi all, any help on the following is greatly appreciated!

I am a commercial real estate appraiser in Salem, Oregon. I am currently working on appraising a private water ski lake.

Does anybody know of any recent (within the past two years but can go back farther if needed) private water ski sales?

Single owner/single user, preferably within either California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Nevada, or Idaho, or Montana (but can be from other states as well).

Even just a name of a lake/property that recently sold to look into would be great.

Thanks so much for the help on this!

• Baller_

Boris Laval bought a lake from Swiss Ski School a few years ago in Clermont, FL. Josephin and Michael Hirst purchased a lake in Clermont within the last year or so. Deana Mapple has a lake for sale in Orlando. There is a gravel pit for sale in Lake Alfred, FL that could easily become a ski lake.

Sorry these comps aren’t nearer to the location you need, but they’re the best I have.

Lpskier

• Baller

@dbaconaz We call it Mecca. Only one of the courses is in and skiable. I don't keep a boat there anymore and the guy who skis there regularly has had some boat issues so he's skiing with me at my lake nearby. He's only skied there a couple times this summer. I've not worked at keeping my other members engaged. It would not take much to get back to the glory days where it was the desert party ski lake (and got a nice feature in Waterski Magazine).

The fish farm operations will need a lot of work to resume.

The hunters love it!

Look at Google maps of the north end of the Salton Sea. It is the site with 2 lakes side by side running N/S with a dividing levee separating the two courses on the west lake.

Eric

• Baller
I'm really curious about this subject. What would drive someone to sell their lake? Is it expense to run/maintain? Is it residents selling and leaving? Not enough buyers for remaining lots or club member interest? The skigreatlakes.com website doesn't work but there's houses for sale there for $180K. And I was just looking at the ski lakes in Caldwell, Id (possibly moving there in a couple years) and now they're for sale too.

• Baller
My guess is that the founding members of the ski site community are aging out of participation. As Baby Boomers age out of involvement, their ski sites will possibly transition ownership, especially if their children are not involved or have secured their own access elsewhere.

• Baller

@HMan66 It may be hard to comprehend how much work and money goes into owning a ski lake. Whether it is an individual or HOA. Also if you are running a ski club, you get a lot of requests or complaints. Also as these owners get older, they are no longer skiing, but still maintaining. They may want to retire somewhere else. In the case of the lakes in Caldwell, Id, it is due to the owners getting older and the exit plan is to sell the lakes at some point. Also lakes don't sell quickly, so you might start advertising years before you actually plan to make a move.

• Baller

@ReggieO The water is fresh. It has some salt in it so it is a little tough on steel. I get good life out of my equipment without flushing or rinsing. I've let one of the lakes get low and the water there is dirty (lots of ducks and no flow). It needs some flushing.

@HMan66 I'm selling because I have another lake to ski at. The fish farm failed and the ski club fizzled. The duck hunters enjoy it but I don't have passion for hunting. It is an opportunity for someone to chase their dreams.

Eric