Fred Winter - Crash Test Dummy

Horton

One thing to remember is that every time a skier holds on "too long" from a fall the boat crew panics because they think the skier is caught on the rope or they expect the rope to be shot towards them ultimately. While the determination (perhaps even frustration) is impressive, the rules are you need to be "ultimately supported by the ski" for any score to count. Do yourself, and the boat crew, a favor and let go when it's time to let go. No reason to hurt yourself or anyone else.

• Baller
Sometimes barefooting you’re better off holding on. Especially short line on the boom the upward vector can keep you from breaking something.. like you’re neck. First time I’ve ever seen it in slalom, but looks like it worked out nicely. I’d be curious to hear if down deep Freddy was doing it out of determination, or intentionally trying to prevent a painful digger.....

• Baller
Years ago a jumper I know blew out of his skis before the ramp, held on to the handle, and rode over the ramp on his belly. When he was back on shore, I said,"Well, that was pretty scary, what were you thinking?" He said, "Sox (his ski partner and coach- and a really good jumper) told me to never let go of the rope". I told him that I thought he meant in the air. When Sox came by, he did confirm that he didn't mean to ride over the ramp without skis :D . I miss those extremely entertaining days...

• Baller

He's got to be a barefooter on the side...as kids we used to tumble up out of gnarly slalom falls. We'd still have the handle and the driver would stuff it. Not real smart...but we did it.

It was a never let go mentality. Resulted in an injury or two I'd like to give back.