What is the peak age of a slalom skier?

Horton

• Administrators

Detrick just set a PB of 5 @ 41. He is 30.

Freddie is 30ish

T-Gas looks better than ever and he is 37ish

Asher’s 41 at the Malibu was as good as it gets and he is 37

• Baller

Not just skiing...was my best at many things athletic in my 30's. Could have been better younger with early training I never had...but still think I would have peaked in my 30's.

Funny thing is the potential for relatively rapid fall off at some point. For some it's 40, for some it's 50, for some freaks that's not the case but it's real when it hits.

• Baller
Depends on the individual, obviously. Personally, I have incrementally improved in practice and tournaments in my late 50 and 60s, at about 1/2 buoy a year. I thought I was pretty much at my limit last year and at best I could possibly improve my consistency. Now that I graduated to the Medicare division an have to ski at 32mph, I can’t compare performance to past performances.

• Baller

I think for pros the answer is probably mid 30s. Not many (maybe only Mapple and Rodgers really) can really keep competing at 36mph well into their 40s. The pros are at such a high level it's hard to stay there (or improve) as your physical skills decline.

For amateurs however, I've aways thought 50-52 was about the peak area. We have much more for room for improvement so if you stay healthy, avoid injuries and take care of yourself, you can keep improving until around those ages.

• Baller

All my ski buddies are 59+

We are legends in our own minds.

Actually I’d say all of us are skiing better now than 20 yrs ago. Does that mean we have greater fitness potential now? No, but we are skiing well and having a blast. Cool sport that way.

• Baller_

There is a big difference between normal people and freaks of nature. Mapple, Brady, Rodgers, those guys aren’t normal.

I think it depends on how long it takes to get you to the 10,000 repetitions to become an expert at _______.

Lpskier

• Baller
My son is a strength conditioning coach for a pro sports team.(hockey) He tells me youth, training, and heart will make virtually anyone a talented athlete. Genetics and mental toughness makes the top athlete a force into later years.

• Baller

Never underestimate the determination/mental aspect. If you have a desire to get better and continue improvement - then you can. Quantity in later years may become a limiting factor, but if you have a desire to improve and put the work in to get there, then I believe you will reach your goals.

Edit: funny how perspective changes a bit as you get older. I might change my answer now . . . A different decade.

• Baller_

Id say 30's

Granted as said in the post my dad skiied great well into his late 40s, however his biking was the best then, but he didnt do it in his 30s. I can tell you from growing up he was in his best shape ever in his 30s.

He was just a freak overall so i dont really think he aged after he turned 35...

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller

@robmollysilverlake

Sorry he likes to keep a low profile but lets just say an Alberta team. ( you have a 50/50 chance of guessing now.)

@mike_mapple Like I posted earlier....genetics.

When my son did his thesis paper on extreme sport conditioning he asked me for the GOAT skier to base it on as he wanted a sport that would be different from the rest of the class. Of course it was your dad he featured and the class were all blown away by the presentation. None of them even knew water skiing even had a pro side to it.

Perhaps one day he will share it with me and allow me to post it here on BOS

• Baller
I am now 73 and the last few yrs I have felt fantastic skiing and barefootin and at times very strong behind the boat.I don't run the course however probably ski 2 times a day and my neighbors on the lake still think I ski like a young kid.

• Baller

Freaks are not normal. In most sports for most of the athletes peak in the 30s and cling from there. Some cling better than others. Some from sheer will, but some bodies start to fail without their minds permission.

You have a few freaks in sports...your Brady’s and Federer’s, your Mapples(GOAT baby).

You have some older skiers getting it done who have good genetic structures and can extend. But across all pro sports...how many total in the pro ranks keep up with the young crowd in their 40s?

Soccer? Tennis? Basketball? Skiing? For those who do they are at the far end of the bell curve a few standard deviations away from the huge pile of athletes who fade hard in their 30s as compared to the top shelf they once were.

• Baller

From a hockey perspective - two that come to mind: Jaromir Jagr and Gordie Howe. Jagr is still playing (though not like he once was) and Howe played professional hockey with his boys!

The after game workouts by Jagr are legendary. Skating around with a chute on and dragging sleds of lead.

Athletes are just fun to watch - and boy am I a bit jealous!

• Baller
Just a thought... would elite skiers continue to be competitive into their 40’s if there was an established, organized pro water ski tour or league were many dozens of athletes had an opportunity to make a career out of it?

• Baller
For a competitive skier my guess would be in their early to mid 30s but for myself as a 59 year old free skier with nothing to measure my abilities other than how I think I'm doing, how much fun I'm having and how much I love to waterski, I think my peak is yet to come. :)