Nate Smith article Washington Post

APB

• Administrators
Nobody is really anonymous. I have everybody's email address and IP address and if somebody is way the hell out of line I intervene. Of course I much prefer people put their real name in their profile but I can't make everybody do that. I have some pretty specific guidelines written down somewhere about what I will and will not allow on this specific subject and to date nobody has violated those guidelines.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
@escmanaze so you are willing to completely disregard the findings of a professional, investigative body just because the Washington Post reported on them? You know the Post didn't do the investigation right, they just wrote an article about it. But that's enough for you to not believe any of the allegations? Wow.

@gmut I totally agree with @jcamp but society today has the "it could never happen here " attitude.What's the first thing people say when they are interviewed after a violent incident or crime scene."but he seemed like such a nice person" it's not a matter of if,it is a matter of when ,sorry to say.

• Baller_

Maybe it is time to move on.. we all have our own direction in this sport, trying to be more efficient on our skis, trying to make our skiing experience a enjoyable experiance and so on.. However dont you think it is time to let this go? Mr. Smith did his time out. He also now has lost an incredible amount of support in this sport.

Let Mr. Smith deal with the hand he delt himself. Dont you all think that a person should have the right to redemption? It is true we need to be vigilant but give the man a chance in life to better his self!

It is Christmas time and at this time of the year we need to be spreading love and cheer and the need to ski!

Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays! And happy new year to "All " skiers around the globe!

• Baller
Until examples are made, forgetting this ever happened will lead to it happening again. This should remain in the public knowledge and never buried. Maybe it can make someone second guess what they are doing in the future and protect the possible victims. Redemption is correct and should be available, however I have yet to see any redeeming acts at all.

• Baller

@gmut I am well aware of the quote and it in no way applies to keeping the public and children safe. I do feel pretty comfortable suggesting ways to exercise caution around ppl who have violated the trust of the public due to violence and other inappropriate behaviors (what I do for a living). that being said feel free to send your children or grand children to who ever you like

all the best and merry Christmas

• Baller

Fact: "Florida statutory rape law is violated when a person has consensual sexual intercourse with an individual under Age 18. Close in age exemptions exist, allowing minors aged 16 or 17 to engage in sexual intercourse with a partner no older than age 23".

Are we to assume ALL the investigators and police were more worried about protecting a world record holder of some obscure sport than pursuing justice? I think not.

Lynch mob mentality is alive in well in America.

Maybe witchcraft is behind running these short lines...

• Members

I think that most people are concerned with not just one incident but the pattern that was shown. The text msgs and comments in those seem like the action of a predator.

I get the culture that exists today and do not like it. It is easy to create a narrative to fit a story and then repeat it and get people to just read your version to become the truth (not saying this happened here)

Having said that even thou I'm new here this is a group of people that send their kids to camps with coaches etc and seeing some of this behavior scares the crap out of them (as it should) and cuts a lot closer to home.

• Baller

I have no idea what the pattern of a sexual predator looks like, and unless you are on the crime task working sexual predator cases, I doubt anyone on here does as well, unless you want to claim you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express...

My kids are now 28 and 25 and when they went through junior and senior high school I was shocked at some of the stories of sexual activity by their peers. My son told me numerous times how girls came onto him, "hundreds" of times. (He is a stud athlete and a good looking guy).

I am not judging either side as we do not know all the facts so will need to rely on the people who did the investigation.

You also have to realize there are parents out there that will blame everyone and everything else before their miss goodie two shoes is held accountable. I am not saying that is the case here, as we just don't know. Some of those text streams should have stopped abruptly by the offended party in my opinion. And don't tell me these girls didn't know what they were messing around with. Like the girl who went up to Mike Tyson's hotel room at 2 am. Duh.

There is like 500K pregnancies under age 16 in America, are we to believe those were all due to sexual predation?? Some of you guys must have your heads so wrapped around the next buoy you don't see the world we are living in.

• Baller

@A_B no offense or questioning of your son's sexual attractiveness to the ladies, but to illustrate the difference.

Your son at 18 saying hey Dad check it out these chicks are throwing themselves at me is very different than your son at 24 texting kids.

One is hey I'm proud of my son, the other is hey my adult son might be grooming 14 year olds.

That is the duality of this debate, if your 14 yo daughter has a text message thread going with any 20+ yo water-skier do you want to have it cc to your inbox or is it copacetic ...

• Administrators
Gentlemen I'm letting this thread run its course provided nobody violates my very specific rules on the subject. If you hate this thread stop commenting on it and it will fall down the page. Every time you comment on it that puts fuel on the fire.

• Baller
It takes a victim of sexual abuse to come forward for someone to be convicted of a crime. As to why they dont come forward. There are many reasons. You can look it up yourself. How do you think other famous coaches and people got away with it for years before being convicted.