Nate Smith article Washington Post

APB

• Baller

I don’t get it... safesport wishes they could do more.....there’s proof he sent sexually explicit texts to a minor yet says he didn’t. His statement makes him sound even worse.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/sex-misconduct-report-on-water-ski-champ-shows-limits-of-safesports-reach/2019/09/19/17696572-d8bb-11e9-ac63-3016711543fe_story.html

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

BOOM the sport has just been rocked and people will now be talking about lots of things. Safe Sport and their limits, Water Ski Governing bodies (globally) and their rules, boat and product manufacturers and their athletes, and the laws themselves.

He was and maybe is still the best but zero support from me. And all I can say is he's a lucky man that it wasn't my daughter in any of those reports!!!!

• Administrators

@Ed_Johnson

Shane was given a time out because - the complicated personal lives of some people who dislike Nate is irrelevant and off topic.

• Baller

Say what you want, there has been a lot of Bias Miss-information bantered about, but you cannot deny the amount of talent Nate has displayed, and how high he has raised the bar. His efficient technique has been constantly studied and the envy of the majority of skiers out there.

• Baller

Nothing clears him from hitting the girl, nothing. That’s battery and he should have seen some jail time.

The rest was stuff he did from age 19-22. The latest episode cited was more than 7 years ago. A college boy with a high school girl (I believe she was 17 at the time he was 21) is nothing new, or particularly news worthy.

It’s all in the report.

• Baller

"The report also includes screen shots of digital messages between Smith and underage girls. In one, for example, he’d mentioned a “threesome” to a 14-year-old girl ..."

@aupatking not exactly a "college boy with a high school girl" nor not newsworthy in my opinion.

"'Outrage/call-out culture' has kinda become the zeitgeist in the US these days."

@jhughes it's hard to tell from your post but are you criticizing "call-out culture?" Do you think this type of behavior SHOULDN'T be called out? As the father of two teenage girls I sure as hell want to know when there is a predator around my daughters.

• Baller

@gmut he has - however the argument that people are out to get Nate is only a defense if they're making stuff up.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like the verifiable parts of the story are

-Safesport viewed text messages as inappropriate but not under their scope due to SS not being in existence when they occured - if same/same in 2019 would have been a safesport violation but isn't.

-Sexual encounter whilst 21 23 with a 17 y/o was legal in the state in which it occurred as that is the age of consent for that state and therefore not a crime, same/same 2019 safesport would view this as a violation of their policies but isn't.

-The physical altercation would have been criminal charges in a foreign country but nothing came of it.

So at this point people are aware of it but unless the involved parties should chose to pursue criminal actions at this point in time its just if you want to purchase items from his sponsoring companies or not.

• Baller

@BraceMaker I just bought a Masterline rope and I will most likely buy a D3 this summer because they are great products made by good people at relatively tiny companies. I won't buy a Nautique this summer because the current boat is simply too ugly. :p

• Baller
@skierjp I dont think they should close the thread... rather they should sticky it to the top and allow ppl to comment. if the sanction is over he should be allowed to complete. but I would not want him anywhere near my kids no matter how good a coach he might be.

• Baller

So I'm just a nobody who skis on a mud pond in Utah a few times a year and doesn't know any famous waterskiers so I typically would have no reason to believe either side of this polarizing issue.

But when the Washington Post runs an article, I always tend to believe more the other side - whoever it is they are trying to slander. Looks like this time, that is Nate.