PCM 6.0 oil

Cent

• Administrators
I was told to use the Pennzoil Platinum full Synthetic. 5 -30 or 10-30. I'm not a mechanic .... you might want to double-check with your local dealer.

• Baller_

I use the royal purple in my big hp engines.

However it gets real expensive when you have to change oil every 50 hours.

We put 300 hours a year on a boat. At over $9.00 a quart that's big money for an oil change. Down side to Royal purple is dont let it sit In the pan for long lengths of time without cycling the oil pump.

I have been Running 15-40 rotella in my 09 6.0, it now has over 1500 hours on it with no issues whatsoever. Dont know that I want to change to a lighter weight oil now.

• Baller
Just checked the PCM website and the manuals for the 2020 engines are now available. sure enough, now recommending Dexos 2 5w30. No more searching for the crazy combination of 15W40 diesel oil with the SM gas certification that oil makers have been dropping.

• Baller

PCM web page recommends 15w 40 conventional oil for all of their engines other than the XR7 and XS7; for the last two engines they recommend 5w30 synthetic.

So the conclusion is the 6.0 should have 15W 40. They recommend conventional oil in the manual; apparently on the basis that full synthetic has not been shown to have a benefit; they do say synthetic can be used but it is not a basis to extend the time between oil changes.

• Baller
Since Mobil 1 was first available in the 1970's, I run synthetic in everything I own that doesn't have oil mixed in the gas. Saves valves and carbon buildup like you can't believe. I would not change out at 50-hours except for the first oil change on a new motor. Mobil 1 ain't what she used to be, but Pennzoil and others consistently test pretty good.

• Baller

Oil weight is confusing for me as well. I have an LS1 and they originally specd 15w40 (Indmar) but I've been told I can run 5w30 as well. It would be running 5w30 in a Corvette or Camaro.

Still running 15w40 but I would think 5w30 would help more on those cold morning starts.

• Baller

The first rating is just the cold weather viscosity. So if it says 15W and you are running 5W, it just means the oil will flow through the engine faster at startup, which I don't think is a bad thing. The 40 vs 30 just means at 212 degrees F that the 40 is a little thicker. Again, the 30 will run through the engine faster, taking heat with it, so I don't think that is bad either. I think the general rule my Dad taught me a long time ago is if it was calling for 30 oil, don't go heavier with 40 or 50 weight oil. It would slow the engine circulation as designed, cause more heat and harder on the engine to turn it. Not a technical definition, but just what I have always done for about 45 years....

By reading some of these engine specs, you would think the engineers looked for the most rare oil in the world and used that as the spec, just to be a pain.

• Baller
It can be a big deal in the new engines. If you use one of the high zinc oils that used to be preferred years ago in a catylitic converter engine you will have failure of the cats. With only 4 quarts of oil in engines that consistently run near there capacity it is smart business to choose wisely. Then put a ton of hours.

• Baller_

I have always found it interesting that a heavier viscosity oil is spec'd for an engine that runs ~180 degree F oil temps / ~160 degree F water temp compared to similar ones that run 220+ F oil temp and 210 F ish water temps all day long. There is a huge safety factor established for the marine stuff. I would bet it would be really hard to find a tournament ski boat that actually had an oil quality failure.

@Jody_Seal - why do you have to do a frequent oil circ w/ RP?

• Baller
Well, ever since I read the service bulletin, I have been looking in various auto parts stores for Dexos 2 oil with the blue Dexos label. Walmart carries Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30. That is the only place I have found any oil with the new Dexos2 label. Also, the naming GM used for Dexos, Dexos1, Gen2 and Dexos2 is very confusing. Many workers in the auto parts stores don't know or appreciate the differences. I don't know if GM could have made it more confusing.

• Baller
I am fairly convinced the service advisory means use the green label Dexos 1, Gen2 rated oil, not Dexos2 rated oil, but there seems to be some disagreement in this thread. Anyone know for sure? The service advisory isn't exactly a model of clarity. I just bought 2 gallons of Dexos 1, Gen 2 rated Royal Purple, and don't want to pour it in the hole until I'm sure.