New French Ski Boat

Dacon62

• Baller

Looks heavy but just under 3000 lbs.

that’s a long video to only really show one wake crossing close up on the ski.

They kept cutting away from it and or only showing turns?

I like the higher bow that is less likely to dip.

• Baller
@Horton I’ve done some digging and still not sure if a panda is good or bad. Based on the seniority/level of those with triple pandas I’m thinking good? So do I have a single panda? and if so do I need 2 more...or do I need to be 3 times more obnoxious in a single post? ?

• Baller
Good point @Stefan . Hadn’t really thought that through, but I’m guessing taxes and shipping probably leads to an enormous price difference between ski boats And EU-produced pleasure craft. Is this the case? And if so, I bet there are lots of inboard/outboard buyers that would prefer a ski (or wakeboard) boat but can’t justify the big price diff. Surprises me one of the big 3 haven’t started manufacturing or at least done a collaboration for manufacturing in Europe. I’m sure the cost spreadsheet for that investment is pretty staggering, but if they really want to own the global market long term then time to “nut up, or shut up”.....

• Baller

With the rising cost of good ski boats I'm starting to think that there's a market for cheaper boats that are built solely for the purpose of pulling a water skier. In Europe, most ski clubs would be interested.

Back in the 70s and 80s Club Med used to operate a fleet of purpose built outboards for water ski. They weren't fancy but they were practical and I bet they were cheap.

For a club all you really need is 2 rear facing seats (for judges), zero off, a great engine, good tracking and wake. There's no need for shiny paint, leather seats, etc.

I'm convinced that if such a boat existed it would sell well over here.

• Baller

I will post rough price on the Frenchie when I have received a quote. I know one Swedish club that bought a new Malibu from the Australia factory to avoid the 25% "Trump" tax supposed to be good for American workers (not...)

• Baller

I knew this was going to happen after the Trump tax on US boats, and frankly I am super happy that a European company is making a ski boat. In our infinitesimally small market, a proof that these tax wars are total nonsense.

I hope they keep a reasonable price and kill it! If retail on ski boats keeps rising, it will make skiing even less accessible than it already is

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller
It’s no different in canada. Boats are ridiculous... there is def room for a 50k ski boat that has tournament specs. No team, no heavy advertising budget. The big 3 obviously have no interest in that biz. Hopefully someone else has the vision

• Administrators

@APB We had a cheap ski boat. It was the Centurion and it failed because they did not sell enough of them. If you want at sub 50K boat you need to buy used.

I just posted in another thread that there are 2019 ProStars promo boats out. These are going to be the best priced almost new boats on the market. Next year's promo are going to cost a bit more because these are the last ones with the 5.7.

• Baller

Probably like dating a really fat lady or riding a moped. Lots of fun until your friends see you. With that said, why the hell would anyone own anything other than a ProStar????? Once you have the best, everything else is second rate... Yeah, you @A_B !!!

• Administrators
The CarbonPro did not sell well largely because the resale was terrible. There was an issue with an update to the boat and then it was just not worth the trouble for Centurion to restart it.

• Baller
@Clydesdale either works great for me. The fortunate thing in Utah is that like boats, I can have a variety and multiple wives in my garage. I will still stick with my ProStar however. Are you sure Nautique and this new boat company aren't the same company?

• Baller
@Brady I envy the multiple boats. Multiple wives not so much. Although if you can keep them in the garage maybe OK. (JOKING before everyone jumps on me!) Maybe they are the same company. If the strategy is to diversify from making beautiful boats then they really nailed it. :D

• Baller_
? what about the qualification process to pull tournaments and its affect on any newcomer. Let's say another budget boat did try to capture the $50k price point but just wanted to be the "practice/club boat" that so many feel there is a market for. Would you in these clubs and else where really buy a boat that's not pulling tournaments? I'll bet not. As long as the big 3 have a monopoly on tournament rides (they pay to play), there will be no club budget minded boat. Carbon pro gave it a shot. The 200 is about the least expensive boat this industry see without change. I half blame the process for qualifying boats for tournament use.

• Baller

Purpose built ski boat... Dyna-ski.

If you were to start today with the concept of waterskiing on private lakes as a sport and no history of the evolution of current tournament boats I think what you'd find would be the evolution of purpose built hulls that were run for thousands of hours and repowered as needed. For how boats are used the sport now relies on brand new high $ promo boats that have to be hauled to events then cleaned polished and cared for. Carefully refueled to not spill fuel on the hulls, where they avoid loading people into/out of the boat and try to keep it immaculate.