Something seems to be daring the battery...but what?

Tdub

So, purchased a brand new top of the line battery. No problems all summer. I have not had the boat out for over a week, went to start, nothing. Luckily, another club member gave it a jump. Here is what makes no sense. The master switch has been in the off position all week. If that switch is off, what can be drawing juice? I will take the battery back and have it checked but I don't think that is the problem. Any thoughts from the BOS folks in the know?

Cheers.

Tom

• Baller
@skiinxs not typically unless they changed it for later models. It has 3 position. On which powers all functions. Off which shuts off all power to the dash, bilge and engine. And bilge only which powers the auto bilge but not the key pad or accessories.

• Baller
Often the auto bilge pump is independent of the switch, and the only way to completely turn it off is the battery switch. However, if the boat isn't exposed to rain, or sitting in the water with a slow leak, there would be no reason for the bilge pump to run. Shouldn't be any draw if its not running. When you say "master switch" is that ignition switch to the all off, or the main battery switch. If the main battery switch is in an all off position and still draining I would say that switch has gone bad. Its always possible that someone has wired something direct to battery though, but I would think any normal wiring from the factory, if the battery switch is off, it should totally disconnect the battery from everything.

• Baller
Typically the battery switch disconnects - almost everything. There is typically a stereo memory wire attached in a way that by passes the switch, in addition to the bilge pump already mentioned. If you have amplifiers they are typically wired direct to battery and rely on the signal wire from the head unit to switch them on - if the internal relay goes bad they can be drawing power as well. The only way to know for sure is to look at your particular boat for anything that goes straight to the batteries or to the battery side terminals of the shut off switch. Multimeter is the only real way to see if there is a drain and then track it down by pulling fuses or wires until it goes away.

• Baller
@Tdub i’m No boat expert, but I am an EE. I like the idea of checking the off current with your ammeter/multimeter provided current draw is low, which it probably is. Safer to test currrent with clamp on ammeter first but most of those are pretty high current devices and won’t give you enough resolution to pick up something small. Based on your symptoms I’m pretty sure you’ll see some current draw. At that point its a question of isolating circuits to find the culprit. If it still happens with the master off then It’s either something that bypasses the master, or perhaps some weird current leaking somewhere before the master. Maybe try to disconnect everything that bypasses the master such as the stereo and bilge suggestions. Do these have individual breakers/fuses? If none of these are causing the draw then you could try to follow the line to the master and look for connection points etc that might be a problem. One finally unlikely scenario is current flow across some surface. This really shouldn’t happen but if for example some conductive grease or fluid was on the surface of your battery, solenoid, or something else that’s always live you could have a small current leaking across. Very unlikely in a late model fresh water boat, but if you rule out other possibilities might be worth looking around for something like that. Just some ideas to think about.

Thanks to all. I will find a multimeter and check it out. I did notice an additional wire on the positive side. I will look to see where it goes. I did have a new radio installed a few years back. Hmmmm. @MNshortliner. I purchased the boat new. Again, Thanks. I will update when I find the culprit.

• Baller

Yes I was going to say radio to but if you have had it for a couple of years like that it shouldn’t be the problem but.

Red wire is power that hooks to ignition key switch or toggle switch

Black wire is negative

Yellow wire is the “always hot” wire to remember time and preset stations

If the red and yellow wires are hooked together that would cause a slow drain on the battery.

• Baller
@BraceMaker I haven't looked in our "new to us" 2003 Response LXI yet, but the 2000 Response didn't have a battery isolater switch. It might be the drop in voltage when starting the engine is causing it to think it shut off. Maybe needs a relay? Or maybe the yellow wire is going through the ignition. Lots of things to play with after some of my other projects are done.

• Baller

@Tdub Here is a wiring diagram for your boat:

https://www.planetnautique.com/CorrectCraftManuals/WiringDiagrams/03-04SEWiringDiagram.pdf

Were you able to measure current draw with your multi meter? Some multimeters don't measure current. If not there is another way to do it.

I'm pretty sure I can walk you through resolving this. Feel free to PM me.

Wow, thanks for all of the responses. Since ski season is pretty much over here in Northern Ohio, I plan to winterize soon. One last trip out to "The Pond" to pull the course, so once winterized I will take the "new" battery to the parts store and have it checked, then over the winter, snag a voltmeter and begin troubleshooting using all of the info presented here. I do have one last question. If I jump in the boat now (in my garage) and turn on the battery switch then the ignition switch, what should the in-dash voltmeter read? 12 volts, right? Any lower then I know there is a drain somewhere?

Again,

Thank you for all of the great info.

Cheers.

Tom

• Baller
If the battery isn’t getting a full charge that could be causing your problem as well. Simple to check the alternator. With engine off, your battery should read around 12 volts. With the engine running, most alternators will show 14 and above on the battery. If it is less than I would say 13.5 you need a new alternator.