What the hell is on Caldwell's ski?

Geppetto

• Baller_

The shape of the fin in the original post reminds me of the one on the Kidder FX 7.0. The triangle is intriguing, though.

Edited: The ski I had might have had a non-standard fin. Will try to locate a photo.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
@adamhcaldwell, that is not the fin that was on mine. I’ll have to look on my computer when I get home tonight to see if I have a better picture of the fin. I don’t have it on my phone.

• Baller
@MISkier Some of the inspiration for this new shape definitely came from the fin you are referring to. I had one at one point that I rode and was really impressed with certain aspects of what it did. This new shape obviously adds some other attributes that I don't think have ever been tried on a fin before.

• Baller_

@AdamCord and @adamhcaldwell, I could not locate a photo of the fin. I don't have the ski anymore and the person to whom I gave the ski no longer has it, either. But, I'm sure the shape was very similar. And, if I remember correctly, the fin was some sort of yellow color.

The big question is: what are you going to call this new fin?

• Baller

It’s not the shape of the fins that are new, the fins in my photo are all 30 years old. It is Adam’s technical ability to manipulate and evaluate the shapes and their effects on performance that sets his designs apart from what may have been done in the past.

nz7mfwxqvowz.jpeg

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

@AdamCord had a buddy set a PB with his fin on backwards.... no one told him they changed it on him....

fins are not the magical pill ya all say they are.... Ive seen way more ppl get lost down the rabbit hole and fall apart due to changing fins, setting, materials, etc....

• Baller

@UCFskier that doesn't surprise me at all. The standard shape backwards will have more drag into the buoy, but will rotate a lot more easily. For a certain subset of skiers a backwards fin is probably quite a bit better.

All that tells me is how much the "standard" shape sucks.

• Administrators

@AdamCord @UCFskier

You guys are highlighting one of the great conundrums of slalom skiing. Sometimes .003 adjustment seems like a huge difference and some times .050 does not.

• Baller
@A_B your eyes can smell? As you know I'm an engineer too. I love watching the innovation from @AdamCord and @adamhcaldwell . Slightly off topic but it looks like both of them have kick in toes on their skis....any particular reason for that?

• Baller
I'm kind of worried about the long term durability of this new fin with the stress concentration issues at the points of the triangle. Then again, Adam will come out with the next great fin design well before that becomes and issue. :smile:

• Supporting Member
@DaveD Legitimate concern. But it wouldn't take much rounding of just a spot or two to eliminate stress risers while not altering the purpose of the fin (to the very limited extent that I understand that purpose). So I doubt that would be an issue with a hypothetical production version if this design gets that far.