Free Perfect Pass update stick 9.2s

EFW

• Baller

You have to have Stargazer. Zbox is helpful. PP mailed me two. They asked me to give it away. All my ski friends have ZO. So I'm offering it to you guys. 1st person to text me wins.

716-949-6746

Ed Weber

• Baller

If you're a struggling 15 off skier you will be running 38 in no time!

Specifically the update will help you with a short setup.( which is what I have) It'll shut the boat down to your set speed at the entry gates through different algorithms not really the GPS. The menus are pretty similar but there's one change to the GPS slalom screen. Where with my last 9.0 version the times was highlighted so for instance I would just say hit the down arrow to bring up your segment times now the mile per hour is highlighted instead. PP classic is now 100% RPM based nothing else. I think they have a simple slalom screen and as far as background settings I think they've been tweaked. And you will not see a GPS indication if you have a signal. You will only get a GPS error signal if you do not have a signal. This last year I hadn't skied in 20 months due to breaking my lff ankle for the fifth time and screwing up my retirement date. Okay this year I only went skiing 6 times and barely. My boat - a1990 Ski Challenger 240 HP 1:1. It is mint. And my friends 2010 5.7 SN200 with ZO. Normally with my boat I would run 32 off and a couple at 35 and go home. This year I could not run one single pass behind my boat. On my friends ZO I ran a 15 off@34 and 28'at 32. I think between the boats I may have run a total of 25 passes. I installed the 9.2s version went out to the lake last week in 50-degree water and ran 1 15 ' off pass got in the boat pulled the bouys. So was it the software change I don't know but I did not touch any of the background settings. Installed it, ran one successful pass behind my boat and left which is all I wanted to accomplish. Next year's another year. Here's another couple issues you may want to consider. Perfect pass told me to mail in my GPS Garmin puck. I probably have an original Star gazer or maybe one year later but they told me that Garmin has made big changes in the software in the puck. To be totally honest I had no idea you could download software to it. Absolutely no idea. It will simply allow the GPS to communicate with the control module better so that there's a better understanding of where the boat is in time and space. All for free. You just have to love perfect pass the customer service. They are the best. As far as my short lake goes I have a 140 ft of run-in before the 55's and I'm usually locked just a tad before the 55's at 34. There's nothing else I could possibly tell you about this. I lied about the 38' pass!

• Baller

@Stefan its the software on the unit.

Stargazer has been out for something like 13-14 years now and they've done quite a few tweaks to improve certain aspects of the pull as well as modify somethings like the way that you set baselines.

Early stargazer for instance you had to set a baseline RPM for each speed. New Stargazer has a calibration mode where you accelerate per usual and it will find and set the speeds.

They also tweaked the slalom pull/lock in - so mostly background stuff you never see - the results I would say are good.

• Baller
@DW well I'm sure you've heard Harald Hintringers name. My friend I ski with is Lex Brumagin. These guys are serious skiers. Very serious. Harald refused to run a pass behind it because he was worried about the difference in pulls between his boat and mine. I understand - he's at that level where he doesn't want anything to mess up the pulls and practice he is use to. He also has a SN200 with ZO and a 5.7. Well with Lex he didn't feel it was a bad pull at all. He did not see a big difference. My boat is a whole lot lighter than a SN200. How much I don't know. To be honest I have always skied the same behind ZO. I never experienced the issue other people were talking about as far as it being so different. All I know is my second pass of this year in 20 months of not skiing I ran a 15'@34 behind Lex's ZO. I could not run a pass PERIOD behind my boat until I put the update in. 20 months prior to that with my old 9.0 version perfect pass software I was running passes so I don't know what's going on. I have new boots and a new release setup but like I said I put the update in and ran one 15 off pass, was happy and left. I'm going to send the Garmin receiver back in for the update. I'll have to wait until next year to see how that works. I don't want to read too much into running one pass with new software at my level of skiing but I always felt that perfect pass was standing me up somewhat with throttle from 2 ball to 3. But Lex with the same 9.0 version software ran it right up to 39. There was one segment that was a little slow for him but I under guessed his weight on setting up the pull parameters. So that makes a small difference. I'll put a picture up of the new screen later. I hope that answers your question.

• Baller

Adding 9.2 + zbox this year, and dialing in the ball times greatly improved my results. I was struggling at 15'off 28mph in the beginning of this year and ended up running consistent 22'off 32mph and a few 28'off passes at 32mph. As the PPSG/ZBOX system got further refined in terms of ball adjustments over the summer, so did my progression.

Chalk it up to PPSG/ZBOX tuning, moving to a Senate Lithium from a Graphite, or just good ole time on the water, I have PB's to back it up!

• Baller
I had my GPS antenna from 2008 reprogrammed. I was able to get GPS lock from inside a closed garage. I was getting the surge at 2-3 ball. I had to tweak the background settings which kept the buoy times within RC tolerance, but not + or - .01. I am hoping with the repogrammed antenna, and Zbox it will tighten up those times. I have Just loaded Version 9.2 and added the Zbox.

• Baller

@EFW that screen showed you came in a bit fast, slowed down all the way to 2 ball then gassed heaps to make almost all of it back up by 3 ball. If that is how it regularly looks, it would be better to ski behind if you fixed it by changing the background settings or crew weight.

The other thing you can do is check your Servo motor is operating smoothly in both directions. To do that, with the motor switched off, hold the hand throttle in the position it would normally be when skiing (say two thirds throttle) and run a Servo motor test. Watch the point where the Servo connects to the engine throttle and ensure it is perfectly smooth with no delays or hiccups as the Servo changes direction. There are good videos

on PP website showing how this would look

Compare the buoy times here and you will see how it is chasing its tail. https://www.usawaterski.org/pages/divisions/3event/AllBuoyTimingChart.htm

9.1 is a huge improvement and I really like the 9.2 interface changes. Same pull as 9.12 (9.1 something anyway) which I already have But I want to upgrade just for the interface.