Slalom ski after total knee replacement

motoskier

• Baller
One of my ski partners has had both replaced and still slaloms and tricks. He wanted to jump (totally against his doctor's orders), but the guys who used to drive jump for him had an intervention and told him we wouldn't drive for him.

• Baller

I'm 4 days post op from a total knee replacement.

Journey has begun, doc said I would be able to ski the slopes again something I've had to avoid the last 7 or so years.

He did not sound too optimistic about waterski slalom but after I explained that I've been waterskiing until now while snow skiing hurt too much he said it would probably be ok.

For clarification he was clueless about waterski slalom as we know it but an avid alpine skier himself.

• Baller

I'm trying to find the video of a gentleman who exploded his knee replacement round 3 ball a half dozens years ago....Long and short is he walks like a Rapper from the hood now...and hes lucky for that.

You can do a lot after knee replacement surgery. My father had dual knee replacement 5 years ago. Dr. Backstein ( Toronto Mount Sinai); who does work both in Canada and USA for very high level politicians and athletes ( first surgeon to do a 5 hour knee replacement where patient is home same day and walking within hours, this past year). He says everything except kneeling is basically in range....So sure you CAN slalom....

His next paragraph sums it up well. Its 1000 times harder to replace a replacement....basically impossible in the sense of having full range thereafter. If you blow up your replacement the ripple effect should be horrendous. For your first replacement full range will take atleast 6 months of physio if not a year pending your age and abilities prior to get back to a "normal". should be better and pain free which is a huge win.

My opinion is; its probably not worth chasing balls anymore. I'll post that vid i mentioned if i can find it. Better to hear it from someone who actually has been through the who gammit.

Sidenote - my father did ski once since replacement; while out of my moms sight and got up on two, dropped one so we could took photos. he's a former body builder / cop / tough guy; after his pass he said "i loved it but never again" which he hasn't. We have our dedicated driver now.

Good luck and well wishes!

• Baller

My wife had dual knee replacement and Dr told her she could basically do what she had been doing before. If she hadn't ever snow skied, probably not a good idea to start.

I think his general take was that if you have been doing a sport its okay, just avoid new sports that you could take bad out of control falls.

• Baller
I had both my knee done ( total replacement) in 2014 at age 67. Started skiing again in 2015 still ski when ever I can 2 to 3 times per week and love it. I am now 72. The knees have not given me any problem and surgeon said all was great on check up and I had skied that morning. So get your surgery DO the EXERCISES TO GET KNEE MOBILE. and get back to skiing.

• Baller
Had my right (rear) knee done Feb 7, 2018 - Dr. Stephen Howell, Sacramento, CA. I was 59 at the time. Surfed at 6 weeks (which is not a big deal - no connection to board, not in big surf) and was back in the slalom course by the third week of April. Best thing ever. My doc was specifically very anti-therapy for the first 4 weeks. He had me walking, flexing, extending, icing and elevated the rest of the time. At 4 weeks I started riding a stationary bike, mainly for flexion, and body weight squats, light weights, calf work, etc. Improvement was very fast after the 4-week mark. I've been through so much therapy from so many knee injuries, I kind of have the program down. I went to a therapist sometime between weeks 4 and 6 and showed them what I was already doing and they said "OK, come back if you want, but you got it." I had the replacement done more for snow skiing than water. Started back on snow in November 2018 and last season was my best in a long time. I'm 61 now and can never stop rehabing.

• Baller
@motoskier I had both knees replaced. Left done in December 2014 right done in January 2016. Surgery was first thing in the morning and by early afternoon I was up walking and doing PT. Went home the next morning each time. Did home PT for 2 weeks then went to a physical therapist 2x per week for a month. During this time I would spend 3-4hrs doing exercises at home (riding station bike, walking on the treadmill, lifting weights and resistance training and any other exercise that would help with my recovery) my therapist gave me all kinds of home exercises. I treated my rehab as my full time job so attacked it everyday. My goal was to get back to work in 2 months and I was successful. Next goal was to umpire baseball games in March ?Then I wanted to get back to skiing in April when our season starts??. I know I would not have reached my goals without my aggressive rehab schedule. When skiing I don’t give my knees any thought. I just go out and ski as hard as I can. My Dr. was very understanding and supportive and I have nothing but good things to say about him. Good luck with your procedure. Also as @Rednucleus pointed out check out the thread he mentions.

• Baller
I had a total knee done on 12/21/2018. I was was walking two hours post op. Pedaled the stationary bike two days later. Rode around on the ski easy at 92 days post op. Skied up to my average in July. Saw the doc for a 1 year (11 month) follow up He said everything looked perfect. Pain free.

• Baller
Well I've had my second one done at Andrews Sports Med, Dr Lyle Cain using the styrker robotic knee system perfect cut perfect fit, went back to work 6 days therapy twice a day, it helps I run a short term rehab facility. Dr said I could ski in 6 months, second knee was much worse than the first