RichardDoane

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Baller

Nice job restoring that boat. It brings back a lot of memories. Simon Hill, Kerri O'neill and I were in it taking bow waves over the bow when all the water in the boat blew out the shaft seal.

It started to sink so we yelled for Rhondi Husso Lang to put the trailer in. The school teacher in her came out and she refused because we were screwing around when it began sinking.

Someone finally put the trailer in and winched it up the ramp.

• Baller

That's awesome. My ski partner and I got his 1989 Ski Brendella fired up about a week ago after a little maintenance. Then, went out and ran 2 sets each behind it.

Sooo much fun!

Just need to raise our magnets a little so that his PerfectPass picks it up.

Must be Bring Brendellas BackTo Life Month!

• Baller

I’ve learned so much about IB ski boats from working on my Brendella and my friends 79 Stars and Stripes MC....they are SO simple...100% dispatch reliability since I’ve owned it. Can’t say the same for the SS MC but it had hammer mechanics working on it before I started messing with it, and it’s pretty solid now.

The new boats are cool with better wakes, HP gains (but more weight) and gee whiz electronics but when they break you’re done and back to the dealer it goes for god knows how long...screwdriver, match book cover and sometimes something to wack the float bowl and we are back in business. I’m sure breakage on the new boats doesn’t happen very often in all honesty.

But there just is SOMETHING about old stuff that raises the cool factor that’s not explainable...

• Baller

@Jody_Seal

Are those coaming pads in good shape? The starboard one in the pics looks good. We need both. Thanks.

The last thing we need to do is install a new poly gas tank. The aluminum one, after 30 years of some wetness trapped between the tank and the carpet it sits on has corroded and leaks. Not worth repairing.

• Baller

@Jody_Seal Thanks Jody, no worries.

@DW Thanks. My ski bud found a poly tank already at Overtons that has almost identical dimensions and had a center fill spout like in the Ski Brendella. Should be installing it soon.

• Baller

@RichardDoane ...not really! It did make initial float level setting a bit easier/quicker less messy (those manifolds didn’t have a wedge to level the carb) but once they’re set either way you’re good to go. Just saves having to take the bowl(s) off to adjust levels.

Super easy carb to work on, very simple. Save yourself some aggravation and buy some extra float bowl transfer tube O rings...use fuel lube or a touch of grease on them, they tear VERY easy and will whizz fuel everywhere anytime you take the bowl off if you tear them.

• Baller

6ax5juncfsi1.jpg

Not trying to steal this thread. Really cool seeing @RichardDoane 's progress on the Ski Brendella.

Here's a pic of the 89 Ski Brendella we now have running strong. Will be installing the new fuel tank next week.

• Baller

@RichardDoane ?

@Wish Fair comment! Maybe a pic or two after we install the tank and get it back in the water.

Expecting 24F tonight. So, we winterized the Brendella and my Txi yesterday.

Yesterday we skied glass and very comfortable in thin heater tops.

Today, strong north wind, white caps, and temps dropping below freezing!

• Baller

@swc5150 the American Skier Advance back then was pretty cool, too, as was the Supra Comp Ts6M, the Centurion Falcon. For a few years the California Skier from Ski West as well.

The waterski boat buyers guide was pretty cool for a while, with some variety and lots of 5-color in the mold gel coats.

Sorry kind of a thread jack...hey great work on Dr. Jack's Brendella keep the photos/videos coming on the progress.

• Baller

@RichardDoane my 1990 Brendella Shortline was my first inboard ski boat that I owned, and so it is a pleasure to contribute to the Horton Restoration! I had taken it off my old '99 and replaced it with a solid teak platform (w/o the slot-holes), and had all intentions of someday making the old platform a bench seat or something. This will have far more significance to be on Jack's boat!

• Baller_

@jimski - yes, we'll be training in advance for the BOS-Dr. Jack-PP Classic Open, just waiting for @Horton to get us the sanction for the 2020 tournament schedule. I'm thinking Bakersfield in late May ?

@jhughes - I'm going to remove/inspect/repair the original first, but if the parts cost is close to a fresh replacement with breaker-less we'll go that route instead