How do you decide when to change your rope?

Horton

• Administrators

I posted the below images in another thread. When I see ropes looks like this I change them. This is NOT scientific. How do you decide when to change a rope?

qhba4hfqbjrj.jpg

brrpua07uizu.jpg

• Baller
It looks like those were used primarily on non-swivel pylons (i.e. Nautiques). I get about 300 sets on my rope and change it out every year. My loops never look like that. I ski about 75% of my sets on boats with swivel pylons...and on the Nautiques I ski behind, they all have a modified, sacrificial nylon strap fit around the pylon. So the rope loop sits against the nylon strap and the strap is what wears versus the loop of the rope.

• Baller

Trying to be a bit more scientific about this, AWSA rule 8.04A has the towline technical specifications. In there is says the towline "Elongation at 115 kg (250 lbs.) tensile load = 2.6% (+/-0.4%)." So wouldn't the rope be effectively "worn out" when it no longer was able to stretch to the minimum amount per the specs?

So ideally a rope at 22 off would stretch approximately 1'-4-3/8" when stretched with a 250lb load. At a minimum it should stretch 1'-1-3/4". If you can't stretch it 1'-1-3/4" it's effectively to stretched out to be within specs. (At 35 off the min is approximately 10-3/8"),

Of course if the loops show wear and tear the rope may be worth replacing earlier.

I've never measured a rope for elongation when it was felt the rope was too old to use. But it would be interesting to see how the elongation dynamics change as the rope wears.

• Baller
@KRoundy I will have to get a picture. They are home made by a ski partner of mine. They are just a piece of nylon strap webbing material that is sewn together in a loop and slid over the top of the pylon onto where the rope sits; then the rope fits over the nylon strap. The strap wears, not the rope.