LaPoint Skis

ALPJr

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

As has been pointed out by others, this is not the first foray into ski manufacturing for Kris LaPoint. In fact, he was building skis as far back as the 1970s, when he acquired the old Hexcel molds and laid up slalom skis in his garage. They were white, with a Psychadelic "LaPoint" silk-screened on the top - called the "Ajax". They had a honeycomb aluminum core and could hardly hold a screw, so the bindings were adjusted with shoelaces running through eyelets in the rubber wraps.

I haven't been able to find an image of that early LaPoint ski, but here's a photo of the old Hexcel slalom, complete with lace-up bindings. chzbq3ob343i.jpg

• Baller
@RGilmore thanks for the photo....it reminds me of the Hexcel snow skis I once had. Hexcel advertised their snow skis by bending them in a loop without breaking them. I skied on the 210 cm slalom snow skis for a couple of years and ended up breaking them when they fell off the car in the ski rack onto the road at 60 mph. Memo to self after that...check your friend's ski rack to make sure it's securely fastened!

• Baller
I used to work in the service department at a ski shop in Cupertino, CA in the '70s and '80s and had to mount Hexcels. By far the biggest PITA of any ski to mount with special epoxy and procedures. Hexcels skied "OK", but not better than the other American, Austrian, French, German, and Italian brands. Super light, but that doesn't mean better (sorry Goode). I did buy a Hexcel slalom at a ski swap (oddly enough at the Marine World pro tournament in Redwood City) because Kris skied on one and it looked cool. Could not get that ski to work. At all. But then I had none clue as to how to "tune" a ski, so it might've been great if had just moved my bindings around.

• Administrators
I am rewatching some of the Malibu and Swiss Pro. Cole McCormick makes that ski look really good. I saw one for the first time a few weeks ago. Very interesting. Very wide under the bindings.

• Baller_
@Horton, I think the Mapple skis had that same characteristic. One of my ski buddies has a Mapple now and has been trying skis this fall. He has been planning to try the Lapoint and has, all along, said it is likely the ski he will get. He favors the wider ski and was assessing the skis he tried against the width of his Mapple.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.