Rural Ski Lake Security

Horton

• Administrators
Is anybody using wildlife or deer cameras as security cameras at ski likes? it seems like camera systems that are actually marketed for security all require internet and are three or four times the price of the wildlife cameras. Anybody have any real life experience?

• Baller

Is the access rather restricted? Trail cams have relatively short sensor ranges and only pick up motion in ~50-100 feet.

Tried this at a pole barn but since you could walk up to the barn from a number of angles there was really only one place to put the camera that captured the doors and some hillbilly stole the camera after about a month.

Some false security, wireless security lights etc. and a single trail cam covering the driveway might do it.

• Baller

How rural are we talkin' here? Before the first house was built on our lake, it was often empty. Briefly considered some cell-enabled game cams. They will transmit a pic in real time when triggered.

Turns out that nosy neighbors combined with having the most feared individual in the county farming your land for you is a pretty good deterrent.

• Baller

1. You’re only going to stop honest people.

2. There is/was a really great “plot watcher” type trail camera out about 5 years ago, worked great even though it only operated during day light. It took a frame every 3 seconds or so despite noticeable movement or not no matter the range. I have a lot of experience with trail cameras and this one was the most useful. I had one on our land for watching the poachers, and deer. Then I moved it on my house to watch the bears and the bitch neighbor stole it. Used a ~128 gig or so SD card. I’m currently looking for same type camera but hadn’t found it yet, surely it’s out there. I do believe the name was “Plot Watcher”.

3. You’re still only going to stop honest people. That’s why we have insurance.

• Baller

Are you wanting instant notification when motion is triggered? If so you'll most likely have to get a cellular trail camera or go with a Wi-Fi security system.

If you're just wanting pictures or video to be taken, and plan on checking the cameras at a later date.....there are numerous good quality trail cameras out there. They store the information on an SD card.

Lithium AA batteries will keep your cameras running for several months.

• Baller
You might scoff, but @thager has the answer. A couple of dobermans will absolutely keep the bad folks out, plus they are awesome family dogs and will protect your family as well. They are incredibly fast, strong, intelligent, loyal dogs that have great awareness for what who/is a threat or not. There are also fantastic with kids. I certainly trust my property, and more important, my family, with mine keeping them safe!

• Baller

A security type CCTV system doesn't need internet, just power. It can just record straight to a DVR. There are some a little more expensive designed to live in a weather resistant box, but i have installed normal home units in a box. If you add in a cheap wifi router, you can just pull out your laptop when on site and look through the video. I have 1 installation like that on a toy storage lot. Just 4 cameras into a 4 channel DVR, with a wifi router. As mentioned above, some have cell systems built in for remote access.

What are you looking for in motion detection. These systems will have motion detection, you can use to just record motion. But at night there will be a lot of unintended motion that can't be filtered out (bugs, mosquitoes, spider webs, etc.) For motion alerts, you would need internet or cell.....and you would get a lot of false alarms at night.

• Baller

We have a hunting cabin 3.5 hours away that sits in the heart of hillbilly country just outside of Gallipolis, Ohio. To get to our property you have to drive a mile on a dirt road through the woods with no neighbors and the road dead ends at our cabin. We have electric and satellite dish for internet. We use a motion security camera that sends us a video. We have several cameras and have posted signs that the property is under video surveillance.

https://blinkforhome.com/

We frequently get trucks that drive up and turn around that appear to be curious hillbillies. We live too far away to take immediate action if an intruder were to break in (one day we had a truck drive past our cabin to the top of field). But it does keep us informed of what is happening (the cows from the next property over are frequent visitors).

In my opinion, even game cameras that email you pictures like CuddyLinks are going to be too finicky and not all that helpful for security.

Hope this helps.

• Baller

If you go trail cam route for security I would look for the highest megapixel you can find.

My biggest pet peeve of security cameras we have used at our business is that the images are too fuzzy to properly identify the criminals. We got broke into in our Dallas Service Center at night and other than seeing a Mutt and Jeff image any facial features were not discernible.

We have trail cams at our lake but they are from a son of an owner looking for deer activity. I always worry we will have some hillbilly steal them as well. I guess you can strap some razor blades on them so at least the criminal gets a nice surprise.

I’d look at cellular remotes in high megapixel.

• Baller

Wireless trail cameras will notify you of movement within seconds. Catching somebody in the act is probably the best way to actually prevent theft, but could also be a little dangerous.

You get pictures or video sent to you instantly.

Most cameras are either Verizon or AT&T providers. You can be notified by text message, email, and/or through the cameras app.

Wireless cameras that are popular are Covert, Spypoint, Cuddeback, Spartan, and Snyper.

There are different contacts available with each system.