Refinishing ski topcoat

Windsurfnut

• Baller

Have a kid in our ski group that likes to bounce from boat to boat, stepping on the skis...

My ski got a decent scratch on it and I've been trying to take it out. So far the scratch is gone, but I can't get the swirl scratches out. 1500grit wet sand, rubbing compound, polish, finishing compound..still shows swirls in the sun as its a black ski.

Anyone have procedure to finishing up the ski? I'm sure with the number of hand built skis produced that there is a start to finish procedure to making them shine like new.

Yes I'm OCD about my stuff...

• Baller
Could you send pictures? Don’t think that you can make the scratch disappear completely. This ski has a graphics vinyl sheet finish and on top only, an extra clear vinyl sheet. If it’s on the bottom, you can try finding a matching color Vinyl spray. Spray the area and use finishing compound to make it match.

• Baller

Be aware that the top edge is surprisingly important for the ski's turning characteristics. Whatever refinishing you do, make sure your finished top edges are very similar to what you started with.

Unless you want to use the top edge to fine tune the ski.

Black is a horrible color for a ski. It gets hot as well as showing everything. Your ski should always be in a storage rack or a bag. Kid proof and no solar overheating.

Eric